Wednesday, October 9, 2024

In A Covid State of Mind by E. B. Davis


During a family reunion, my sister and I caught Covid from another family member. It was just the three of us siblings so there are no other possible choices. I’m not playing the blame game—just stating the facts. Cold symptoms were involved, which is what we assumed we had caught until I came home from the reunion and got tested. Surprise!

 

Why am I writing about Covid? I’ve never had it before. When everyone else was sick with it, I sailed through without catching it. Even when my husband got it a month ago, I didn’t get it from him. I can’t tell you how happy I was.

 

At the time of the first inoculations during 2021, I chose to get the J&J vaccine rather than the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA versions because of that RNA factor. But then, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were updates and booster shots became available. There were no boosters for the J&J vaccine. Since I hadn’t had Pfizer or Moderna originally, I didn’t get the boosters thinking that they were updates to the original vaccines. The J&J vaccine has been discontinued due to blood clots developing in some patients. So—basically, I didn’t have much protection against the virus, but then as time went on, the virus itself seemed less lethal and more of a really bad cold. Maybe… but there are two caveats.   

 

There is such a thing as long-term Covid. My infected sibling originally caught Covid 19 in 2022 and now admits to not feeling well since then, catching continuous viruses. Most of the time, it’s been the cold virus, which wasn’t alarming. After all, no one ever died of a cold, but now we know it wasn’t just a cold. The medical community is in the midst of documenting long-term Covid symptoms. It’s a real phenomenon, one I hope can be overcome.  

 

I think because I hadn’t had booster shots, my body doesn’t have the immunity it would have had and due to that, my Covid is lasting longer than most people are experiencing. I tested positive on 9/27. I retested myself on 10/5, and again, I was positive. I’m going on my second week and although I’m not dying, I am confined to quarters, which is limiting. I also am finding out how many really bad movies are on Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. Even Shirley MacLaine, Jessica Tandy, and Kathy Bates couldn’t bring life to one movie I turned off. Then there are the books on Kindle Unlimited that are at best frustrating. I started reading what I thought was an inventive plot (and it was), but I couldn’t get past the awful editing—I mean to the point that spell check didn’t differentiate between Gabriel and Gabriele. Last names of secondary characters inadvertently changed. I researched the author and was surprised to find that she has over 200 books on the market—most of which were on Kindle Unlimited. She’s a Goodreads author. Why don’t authors read their own books? Do I have brain fog, boredom, or do I have reason to find fault?

 

What did you do when you had Covid? Were you as impatient as I am?

7 comments:

  1. Which time? The 1st, despite Plaxovid, I was very sick with symptoms that changed every few hours except for a consistent fever and when I finally tested negative after 11 days, I still was tired for weeks. The second time was easier but went into a secondary bronchial infection. The third, a fairly mild cold. So, that is my 2022, 2023, and 2024 covid history. I'd like to skip 2025.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, hoping you heal quickly! I've never had COVID but it's inevitable that I'll get it at some point. Fully vaxxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping you feel better soon, Elaine. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people with an underlying medical problem that does not work well with Covid. I've had it twice now. I've had to change a lot about how I live, including staying away from book conferences. That's just the nature of the beast, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my knowledge, I've never had covid. That's not definite, though. In the very beginning of the pandemic, when tests began to become available, although not to the public, my brother got routine tests on his job. One day they told him he had covid and to go home. He thought they were kidding, and it wasn't until he was suited up & his partner refused to come near him that he realized he had it. I'm getting older (who isn't?) and have a number of underlying conditions. So I can't tell you whether my "brain fog" is age related or blood oxygen-level related or something else.
    Do you want us to send you books (hopefully more carefully edited) or have you settled into a reasonably comfortable regime?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite being fully vaccinated, I picked up Covid while traveling in late 2023. Plaxovid and good luck provided me a mild case. One of my sisters is suffering from long Covid and I would just as soon not risk that possibility. I've continued to vaccinate in hopes of not getting a second dose. I hope you recover quickly from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I think I'm over the hump, but I still have such a barking cough--I'd rather not be around me. Wow--I'm sorry to hear others have had such problems and continuing problems with this virus. Since we suspect my brother has long-term Covid, and I caught it from him, I hope that doesn't mean lasting effects for me. My energy levels are coming up, but I have to admit by 4 pm, I'm flagging. I've never been particularly patient and age hasn't improved me. My husband was prescribed Paxlovid and he recovered quickly. I can only assume that by the time I got home and realized that perhaps I didn't have just a cold, it might have been too late for that medication. We caught Keith's on the very first day. I still have a bit of brain fog, but so often my quality of sleep affects that--like Kathleen--it may not be Covid after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone around me has had it, and as far as I know, I never have. I was just getting cocky about that...until I read this...Guess you're never out of the woods after all. Hope you're feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete