Thursday, October 3, 2024

A Remarkable Sixty-Four-Year-Old Novel by Susan Van Kirk

 


When To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee came out in 1960, I was fourteen. In those days before the Civil Rights Movement, it was an explosive novel. A couple of years later, I read it in high school and fell in love with Atticus Finch, Scout, and Jem. I’ve re-read it every decade since then.

 

Last week was Banned Books Week in America, and since I’m a week later as a blogger on WWK, I thought I’d go back and mention this remarkable book that has sold ten million copies and been banned in some schools. It’s also been made into a movie and a play, and on its fiftieth anniversary, I watched the film again with an introduction by then-President Obama reminding us about the values we share and the timelessness of human decency.

 

When I read it as a teenager, I railed at the injustice of Tom Robinson’s death and admired the deeply felt and simply rendered lessons of a small town, white attorney. Re-reading it in later years, I am reminded of the violent, explosive, and ugly history of race relations in America. But I also marvel at the many scenes of decency and social justice. A particularly iconic scene that stays with me is the night the mob descends on the jail to kill Tom Robinson. But Jean Louise (Scout) shames them with her innocence. The timelessness of the written word!

 

Why would such a book be banned? James La Rue, Director of the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom, said that most challenges to this book cite “strong language, discussion of sexuality and rape, and the use of the n-word.” Other criticisms have cited a “white savior character” who comes in to save the day.

 


When Nelle Harper Lee authored her greatest novel, she based it on memories of her family and
neighbors and an event she remembered in her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama. Her father and older brother were the inspirations for Atticus Finch and Jem. Her mother’s maiden name was Finch, and her father was a newspaper reporter and later a lawyer who defended, unsuccessfully, two Black men in the town. In interviews, she talked about her book reflecting race relations in the 1930s South.

 

The morality of treating others with respect and kindness and protecting the innocent rather than hurting them are themes that reverberate throughout the story. While it had multiple edits, the final manuscript is powerful because of the unforgettable voice of Scout, the narrator and protagonist. In our never-ending struggle to treat people based on their character, the lessons of To Kill a Mockingbird still hold true. I must admit when Atticus Finch leaves that courtroom and the entire balcony stands up, I am always moved to tears. As the minister says to the Finch children and Dill, “Miss Jean Louise. Stand up! Your father’s passing.”

 

Of course, neither the book nor the film has a happy ending. Such endings seldom happen in books or films about this subject and period in American History. But even so, To Kill a Mockingbird—whether novel or film or play—reminds us that a society’s decency and moral character is judged by how it treats its poorest, its outcasts, its mockingbirds. It forces us to think. And like many books that cause us to pause, reflect, and consider our own values, that makes it a target for book-banners.

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Good and evil have been in mortal combat since Cain and Abel (or your equivalent myth story). Through much of my life I thought that, although the struggle would always continue, more often good would triumph. I despair that I have been wrong. Lies are easier than truth, and when told frequently enough become truth for those subjected to the lies -- despite deep down knowing better. Anything that threatens those lies, must be banned -- because why take a chance that truth and goodness might take down the power of the lies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jim. Do we ever think we'd be living in the world we now inhabit where lies are as easily spoken as truths?

      Delete
  2. A classic story, true to its time and all the flaws.
    It does make me wonder what future generations will think when they read moving fiction set in our period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite books because of its honest depiction of a time and the behaviors and beliefs that different people held. I have to admit that seeing Gregory Peck in his white suit probably instilled my memory of his character even more than only depending upon my reading of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Debra. Isn't it interesting how an iconic shot can stay in your mind forever. This is one time when I felt the film did the book justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some parents object to their children reading things that are painful or possibly traumatic. But as I’ve come to recognize, it is better for them to learn from reading about peoples’ experiences and learn from them in a book without having to experience those things themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting. A favorite book and movie from my childhood. The banning of books makes me furious. Following on from our discussion of yesterday - often these banned books are creatures of their time. As such, our modern sensibilities may not agree with them, and may find them offensive, but they reflect who we were and how far we have come. I wonder - has Fahrenheit 451 also been banned?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Grace. Part of learning about our history is also learning about our culture. And Kait, "Fahrenheit 451" is a star target of book banners. I had a challenge in my own high school classroom to Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions." Fortunately, the school board at the time was composed of educated people who read books, and they kept it in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and I have similar tastes in reading. And thinking. Thanks for this excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, isn't it? To think we both existed without knowing each other until recently, and we could be sisters (-:

      Delete