Saturday, October 21, 2023

Reading as a Sport, by Lori Roberts Herbst

 We visited my daughter’s family a couple of weeks ago, and our 8-year-old grandson asked my husband if he wanted to play catch.

“Sure,” Papa said.

 

The grandson paused and looked up at him. His tone turned cautionary. “It’s competitive catch, Papa.”

 

I hadn’t realized there was such a thing as “competitive catch,” but knowing my grandson, it should have come as no surprise. The competitive gene runs strong in that one, manifesting itself in soccer, basketball, and even such activities as hide-and-seek. In the past, I’ve been tasked with timing him on the playground, getting dressed, and once even brushing his teeth.

 

He comes by it honestly. His mother has always enjoyed a good rivalry and has even been known to indulge in the occasional chest bump when her team gets a win.

 

Nothing gets Papa fired up as much as a sporting event. Woe to the person sitting near him at a sporting event who might be cheering for the other team. He’s never engaged in combat (so far), but the snarky side of the usually low-key man definitely makes an appearance.

 

As for me…well, in my younger years, I was known to overturn a game board or two in a display of poor sportsmanship. I like to think I’ve outgrown that stage of life, but maybe it’s more accurate to say I simply no longer play many board games. The rare times I do, it’s with the grandkids, and I’m perfectly content to watch them win. 

 


Now that I’m in my sixties, the competitive edge in me seems to have receded. There are just so many other things to stress over instead. Don’t get me wrong; I still get a thrill if one of my books wins an award—but I also get a thrill when one of my author friends wins, too. 

 

These days, my competitive instincts seem to have turned self-focused—contests with myself. If I wrote 2,500 words today, can I write 2,600 tomorrow? If I completed a sudoku in 5 minutes, can I complete the next one in 4:55? (Living on the edge, I realize…)

 

So, imagine my delight some years back when I discovered the Goodreads Reading Challenge. Reading? Check. Challenge? Check. What could be more perfect for someone of my inclinations?

 

For those who might not be familiar with this little gem of an activity, the premise is simple. You set yourself a goal for how many books you think you can read in a calendar year. Then you read. As you begin a book, you add it to your Goodreads list. When you finish, you click “Read,” and Goodreads adds it as completed in your challenge. They maintain a list of everything you read throughout the course of the year. With every book finished, you get a little adrenaline rush, pat yourself on the back, and move onto the next one.

 

Last year, I set my goal at 60 books and easily surpassed it. This year, I chose 72 (six books per month). I’m currently at 74, with almost 11 weeks to go. (Side note: I thought that was high, but I’ve since come across people whose number of books read extends well into the triple digits. I doubt I’ll ever reach that lofty goal. Anyway, I don’t like to set myself up for failure. I set the bar low so I can exceed expectations.)

 

If you’re currently on Goodreads, I hope you’ll “friend” me so we can follow each other’s progress. If you’re not…what are you waiting for? All the books aren’t going to read themselves!

 

How many books do you read in a year? (Careful how you answer—I may get competitive.)

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I can friend you, but I'm following you now.

    I typically set my goal at 100 books, and then up it when I get close. So I'm currently sitting at 103 books for the year out of a goal of 120. I usually wind up around 125 each year. I feel like that's pretty much my limit in a year, so I am amazed by the people who get so many more read. I'm asked how I do it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not set an annual goal for books to read. I don't need any extra pressure, especially from something I consider a relaxing activity.

    But, I DO want to know more about what competitive catch is all about . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all over competitive catch. Points deducted for a miss? Hardball? Softball? Frisbee?

    I used to do the Goodreads thing, mostly to keep track of all the books I read. Now I use the public library reader history list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure it would be healthy for me to sit that long to read books, something I do for pleasure. As it is, most of my pasttimes—bridge, writing, jigsaw puzzles— involve sitting. To keep my health up, I need time for moving. But I applaud your goal-oriented reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun! Knowing I had three books to get out this year, I set my bar low.at 75. I’m more or less on track, so I’m happy 😊. Now can we talk about the 50 state challenge? I think I began that in 2015 and I’m still slogging my way through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm more of a cooperative than competitive mindset. I don't keep track of how many books I read. Right now I'm reading an Ann Cleeves that I somehow managed to miss. It's pretty long, so it will probably be my reading for most of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, I'll follow you back, though with your voraciousness I may end up just feeling guilty...But I'm excited to see what books you read. I have a feeling I'll like them.

    Jim and Margaret, near as I could figure, competitive catch involved a bit of tackling. I went back inside when I saw that.

    Susan, I pop in my earbuds and listen to an audiobook as I walk. It still counts!

    Kait, we participate in the 50 state challenge!. We're missing only THREE states.

    Kathleen, I am embarrassed to admit I've NEVER read an Ann Cleeves book. Where should I start?

    ReplyDelete