Sunday, October 22, 2023

Guest Post with Edith Maxwell

 Poison? Coming Right Up 

Thanks so much, Annette, for inviting me back to Writers Who Kill. That’s truly the best blog name for a group of mayhem-minded murder mavens. 

I’m so excited about Tuesday’s launch of Murder Uncorked, which is Cece Barton’s first full-length adventure. She’s managing a wine bar in the town where her twin sister and twin nephews live. Cece has bought herself a cottage, established a garden, and made friends with gardener and wise old man Richard next door (who is inspired by my favorite and still-thriving uncle Dick Reinhardt, now age 97).


But then a guy Cece has had unpleasant dealings with turns up dead, apparently not from natural causes.


Cece had already helped solve a murder in “Murderous Mittens,” my novella in the Christmas Mittens Murder collection. 


A quiet Christmas in Colinas, California, at her twin sister’s charming B&B is exactly what Cece Barton needs during the holiday hustle of Los Angeles. But the morning after a lovely evening at the local wine bar, Cece learns that the bar’s proprietor, who sells mittens in her spare time, has been found dead. With her horrified twin one of the main suspects, can Cece unmask the merry murderer before this becomes a holiday from hell? 

And then, well, the job of wine bar manager is open. Allie asks Cece, “Don’t you want to apply for the job and live in the same town as we do?” Cece adores her nephews and is close to Allie and her husband. It doesn’t take much to say “Yes.” 

The murder weapon in the novella had to have something to do with mittens, which was mandated by my editor. For the book, it was my choice how to kill the victim. 

I keep a running list of murder weapons I’ve used in previous books and stories. Garroting? Check. Same with sharpened knitting needles, malnourished pigs, a push off a cliff, giving someone, who is deathly allergic to seafood, broth made from…seafood. I’m writing my thirty-seventh novel and am weirdly proud to say I’ve never (fictionally) shot anyone. 

Still, poisons are my weapon of choice. But how to pick one? As I often do, I hauled out my collection of poison books.


I consulted my notes from several talks by the Poison Lady, aka Texas pharmacologist Luci Zahray. Many are the choices. Luci has lectured on commonly available drugs – Tylenol and alcohol are a deadly combo, for example. Tropical botanical toxins can come from plants or frogs. 

This book takes place north of San Francisco. I started thinking of poison plants that might grow in the area. Because I’m a native Californian, I remembered several plants native to the Golden State that can be deadly if ingested. I dug a little deeper and made my decision.


If you recognize those seed pods, keep it to yourself! No spoilers, please. 

Readers: What’s your experience with wine bars? Northern California? I’d love to send one US reader a signed copy of Murder Uncorked (ebook to commenters outside the US). 

As the manager of Vino y Vida Wine Bar in Colinas, Cecelia “Cece” Barton’s first Alexander Valley harvest is a whirlwind of activity. Her twin sister, Allie Halstead, who owns a nearby Victorian bed & breakfast, is accustomed to the hustle and bustle of peak tourist season. But Cece barely has a moment to enjoy her new home while juggling her responsibilities at the bar and navigating the sticky politics of the local wine association. Just when it seems things can’t grow any more intense, Colinas is rocked by a murder within the wine community . . . and Cece is identified as a possible suspect.

With her reputation and her livelihood on the line—and the Sonoma County deputy sheriff breathing down her neck—Cece has no choice but to uncork her own murder investigation. Tensions are already high in the valley, as a massive wildfire creeps toward Colinas, threatening homes, vineyards, and the vital tourist trade. And now, with a murderer on the loose, and Cece’s sleuthing exposing the valley’s bitterest old rivalries and secret new alliances, Colinas feels ready to pop. But with Allie’s help, Cece is determined to catch the killer and clear her name before everything she’s worked so hard for goes up in flames.


 

Maddie Day pens the Country Store Mysteries, the Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries, and the new Cece Barton Mysteries. As Agatha Award-winning author Edith Maxwell, she writes the Quaker Midwife Mysteries and short crime fiction. Day/Maxwell lives with her beau and cat Martin north of Boston, where she writes, gardens, cooks, and wastes time on Facebook. Find her at EdithMaxwell.com, wickedauthors.com, Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen, and on social media:

 

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

 

15 comments:

  1. Edith thanks for joining us today! I adore Luci Zahray. Last month, she did one of her workshops for my local Sisters in Crime Chapter.

    I've never been to Northern California, nor have I been to a wine bar. I feel this is an oversight I must correct!

    Congrats on the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Writers Who Kill, Edith. I have visited northern California several times, mostly on the way to or from somewhere farther north!

    Wine bars - too froo froo for me.

    Oh, and congratulations on #37. I was around when #1 came out. It's been quite a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new book, Edith! This Bouchercon was my first time in California at all, although The Girl has been to Northern California. I don't drink much these days, so no wine bars, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EDITH: Congratulations on the new book. Yes, I have visited wine bars & tasting rooms in both Sonoma & Napa counties during multiple trips. I am a huge old vine zinfandel fan but also tried blends such as Meritage. I stayed in Santa Rosa, Healdsburg & city of Sonoma.

    Don't include me in the draw...I read an ARC of Murder Uncorked while at San Diego Bouchercon. COINCIDENCE: I was drinking the same Seghesio zin that was mentioned in the book as I was reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read Cece's story, Edith. Sounds like a great start for her series. And I do not recognize the seed pods, but now I'm curious.

    When I visited my youngest in Miami when she was in grad school there she took me to a wine bar. I'd never seen anything like it, but since have seen similar elsewhere, as well as tasting rooms. This one had walls lined with wine dispensers with slots for a prepaid card. You put your glass under the spigot, inserted your card, and chose how many ounces to dispense. The wine was priced by the ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a wine & cheese bar back in the 70's on Long Island, NY. It was such a nice change to the local bars with people guzzling beer, ant it seemed much more sophisticated. That one has been gone for many years now, but a more recent one was set in the back room of a charming bookstore, Turn of the Corkscrew. Sadly that one is also only a memory, I don't have a special one to visit these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the novel for Cece! I can't wait to spend some time at Vino y Vida Wine Bar!
    Absolutely adore Sonoma. Visited several wine bars there ages ago and also the most delicious restaurant with the quirkiest name: The Girl and the Fig. One of the best meals of my life, and that's saying something because I love to eat out!
    xo
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can’t wait to visit the Wine Country with Cece. This book is right up my alley – Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many choices! I was surprised by some common garden flowers . . . deadly beauty. I didn't know those seeds looked like that.
    The book is fabulous. I've reviewed the ARC (so I don't need to win) and only wish there were more than 5 *****. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thanks everybody!

    Annette, you must visit the Alexander Valley soon.
    Jim, thank you - it has been a journey.
    Grace, I'm not surprised that you know the valley! That is quite a coincidence.
    Oh, goodness, Karen. Cece's bar is not so hi-tech.
    Liz, it was great to see you in San Diego.
    KM, I hope you love it.
    Judith, I like the idea of a wine bar in a bookstore!
    The Girl and The Fig - I love that name, Shari! I might see if I can find it when I'm out there next week.
    I hope you love it, Kait!
    Aww. Thank you so much, Mary! I'm delighted you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to have you here, Edith. Congratulations on the new series and all your success. Now I'm hopping over to Mystery Lovers' Kitchen to check out your Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Molly, and for the Spotlight heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new book, it looks great! I’ve never been to California. I am a fan of wine bars, though I presently live in a small town that doesn’t really have them. Khpinelake (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never been to Northern California but would love to visit wine country someday.

    ReplyDelete