Monday, August 21, 2023

Why Did the Chicken or Writer Cross the Road?

Why Did the Chicken or Writer Cross the Road? by Debra H. Goldstein

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side.

Why must an author write?

To express and share the thoughts and ideas whirling in his/her head --- and to avoid becoming limited to crossing the road merely to get to the other side.

The spark of creativity isn’t linear. It goes in all directions as a writer tries to reach the eventual end goal. Sometimes, while the chicken makes it across the road, the author fails to reach the other side. Distractions, random thoughts, or simply fear stymie the writer’s progress. How many writers have been one-book wonders because of a perceived inability to meet the level of success of the first book?

Some might compare this kind of behavior to an ostrich burying its head in the sand; however, the reality is that ostriches don’t bury their heads. Unable to fly or build nests in trees, they bend and create a place in the ground for their eggs. What people don’t realize is the speed with which an ostrich can move. Strong legs allow them to propel themselves quickly across great distances. Ostriches may be the butt of numerous jokes; but they have the potential to get to the other side.

The question is simple – are you an ostrich, a chicken, or ???? in terms of writing or trying new things in life?

 

7 comments:

  1. I prefer to think of myself as a piliated woodpecker when it comes to my my writing. Curious, a bit tenacious, pleased with my work even if it seems like disastrous mess to chaos to other people. And, while of course I do like to share my work with others, I don't really care if no one else likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ostriches have a powerful kick -- also necessary because they can't fly and taste good to several mammal species.

    In my writing, I tend to wander through deep woods and when I reach a road wonder which one it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Debra--That's a sticky question that I can't face on a Monday morning. Perhaps therein lies the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    Congratulations on your Silver Falchion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid we had a dog who loved to take naps in the sun in the middle of the gravel road. Friendly but immovable, cars drove around him. He was a good tracker, liked riding in the rowboat, and crossed that gravel road at a lope when he had an adventure in mind. I might have learned a trick or two from that good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the Silver Falchion!

    I have an adventurous spirit. Never met a challenge I didn't enjoy!

    ReplyDelete