Friday, August 11, 2023

Writing a 50-Word Bio: A Blog by Warren Bull


 Image by Steve A. Johnson on Pixabay

Writing a 50-word Biography


We interrupt the blog scheduled for this time for Breaking News


Dot Dee Dot Dot. Dot Dee Dot Dot. Writing short is hard.


Authors in the anthologies are often asked to provide a 50-word biography in preparation for publication.  A number of authors have mentioned that it is difficult to summarize a person’s life in 50 words or less.  Some have set off emergency flares.  I thought I would see if I could offer examples and information to see if I can help.


Note: This is an old bio that does not include the more recent publication and awards.  It omits a MacArthur Fellows Program award, a Pulitzer Prize, and a Nobel Prize because I have not won those awards, yet. (Although I might have been short-listed for some or all of them.)  It’s good to have goals.



For the guppies Fishnets Anthology in 2012, I wrote: the following 47-word bio. 

Warren Bull, a multiple award-winning author, was nominated for a 2012 Derringer award. He has more than forty short stories published. His novels ABRAHAM LINCOLN FOR THE DEFENSE, HEARTLAND, and MURDER IN THE MOONLIGHT available at http://www.warrenbull.com/kindle_editions.html, and a short story collection, MURDER MANHATTAN STYLE available at http://www.warrenbull.com/


It’s not exactly scintillating reading but it is an example of some basic rules.

It is within the word count.

It is written in the third person.

My name is on the first line.

Awards and publications are noted.

The bio has a clear target audience. 


In this bio, I want to reach readers.  I want to say, “If you enjoy this story, you might want to find, buy and read my other work and then write glowing reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.  Here’s a map to my works.” (I might mention blog readers are also invited to do the same.) 


Awards and publications say, “Look, dear readers, I know my way around a paragraph. I’ve worked with a thesaurus, a dictionary, an eraser, and a red pencil many times before.”


What did I write before I had publications and awards?  I tried to give readers a little background and taste of my word-smithing. For example:  “Warren Bull is a psychologist in his ‘day job.’ He comes from a functional family and is a fierce competitor at trivia games.”


A biography gives you the opportunity to address the most important people in the writing world — readers. So, write, polish, re-write, run it by people whose skills you respect, and keep your audience in mind. 


Does this help?

6 comments:

  1. Keeping in the word-count is important because if you don't decide what to cut, someone else will and you may not like the result.

    I never add links to particular works, but I do always include a link to my website where readers can learn more about me and find links to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my short bios, I link to my website and mention my most recently-published story title and anthology. I read somewhere that free, on-line publications are ideal for bios because readers can immediately read more of your publications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely helps. Thanks, Warren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Bios befuddle me so I tend to go with the generic what I write, where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent advice! I'm putting it to use tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes. The short but relevant bio Always a challenge.

    ReplyDelete