Sunday, August 27, 2023

To Laptop or Not to Laptop? By Annette Dashofy

Later this week, I’ll be flying from my home in Pennsylvania to San Diego for Bouchercon World Mystery Convention. I’ve been to six of these over the years, but I’ve never been to San Diego. Bouchercon is huge with some of the biggest name authors on the planet. My panel this year includes C.J. Box! I expect a crowd. And they won’t be there for me! 

Anyway, I’ll also participate in a signing session and plan to do a lot of networking with other authors and readers. And one of my publishers. It’s a business trip, to be sure. 

But it’s San Diego!

I confess. With Bouchercon being as big as it is, I’m a very small fish in a very large ocean. I’m not complaining. It makes me feel less guilty for playing hooky. Frankly, with the expenses involved, I only attend this one when it’s located in a city I want to visit. 

Examples: Long Beach:

My first time at the Pacific Ocean


New Orleans: 

Travel buddy Martha Reed getting her bourbon fix

St. Pete:

The veranda at the Vinoy

 

Dallas:

Boot shopping

 San Diego. (Pictures yet to be taken) 

I plan to slip out and explore a bit of southern California (or what’s left of it after last weekend’s Hurriquake). 

Which brings me to my conundrum. Do I lug my laptop with me and sneak in some writing time? Or do I unplug? Partly. I will have my phone. 

I usually do bring my laptop with me to conferences. I have no expectations of massive wordcounts. But I like to keep my mind in the story so I don’t have as much catching up to do when I get home. 

I’ve been to conferences, big and small, where I’m in awe of authors who set up shop in the bar and work on their next book. Or who slip away, not to take in the sights, but to write. 

I don’t intend to retreat from the activities to write. I figure these events are part of my job as a writer, but a different part. Spending time with my readers. Chatting with bloggers and podcasters. However, I usually get some words on the page in the morning. After a cup of hotel-room coffee, but before breakfast. 

On the other hand… Do I want to lug my laptop through multiple airports while racing to make connecting flights? 

Lately, I’ve become more focused on comfort. Cute flats instead of heels at the convention. Stretchy pants with pockets for things like ID, credit cards, and cash for flights. Even super-casual slip-on shoes for TSA screenings. 

Ah, yes. The TSA screening. My biggest reason for leaving the laptop at home. I’m trying to minimize the stuff I have to drag out of my carry-on bag and stick in those bins for x-rays and then pack back into the bag afterwards. 

So my question to you, my fellow writers: Do you bring your laptops with you when you travel to fan or writing conventions? Or do you leave them home and focus on the convention experience? And readers, do you merge work with down time when you vacation? 

I’m still undecided, so I await your input! 

14 comments:

  1. I usually bring my laptop with me when I travel. If I don't use it, I don't use it. But it's nice to have it as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning in that direction right now, Mark. I'm "stuck" in a plot hole and think maybe...just MAYBE...I'll gain inspiration and a solution at Bouchercon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will attend your panel to see you.

    I always bring my laptop because I always have to promote the blog of the day and it is quite hard (at least for me) to do it on the phone. Besides I get up at the crack of dawn so I can get a little work in and have the rest of the day for me.

    Do you have TSA Pre-check? I rarely have to take out my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TSA demanded my daughter's laptop and sent it through the conveyor on the rollers, not in a bin, and of course, broke it. I wouldn't risk TSA without pre-check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing you, Dru Ann!

    No, I don't have TSA Pre-check. I fly so rarely anymore, it doesn't seem worth the expense. And the smaller airports don't have a separate Pre-check line, so I still have to go through the unpacking routine.

    I'm up way before dawn too, which is going to make jetlag a very real thing for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, that's awful! I've never encountered anything like that. Maybe because I unpack my stuff and put it in bins before anyone else can touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a while since I've gone to anything like that (pre-pandemic) but I always brought my laptop.

    For one thing, I have problems with my hands & trying to use the keyboard on a phone is an invitation to frustration & disaster.

    If my energy level wanes, I can go back to my room & get a bit of writing in. If I don't run out of stamina, I can just ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KM, that's what I've been thinking too.

    At one point, I had hoped to have a lot more of my second draft done by the time I left, so I could take a writing "vacation." But that doesn't look like the case any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's not going to make you feel guilty if you ignore it, might as well take it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy San Diego! As for the laptop – I usually take a tablet. So much easier to lug and since I use it only for a conduit to email items to my “real” computer, no harm no foul if it somehow breaks. gets lost, or fried by x-ray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy every minute!
    I bring mine but I rarely use it. I've been experimenting dictation for those last minute moments of inspiration, but for writing-writing, I need my laptop.
    Enquiring minds want to know - did you buy those amazing boots?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori, ignoring it won't make me feel guilty at all.

    Kait, thanks. My only tablet is my Kindle, which will go with me regardless.

    Shari, thanks. And no, I didn't get those boots. I did, however, buy a gorgeous red pair of cowboy boots once I got home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do bring my laptop to conferences, but I don't plan to write at conferences. I use non-convention time for exploring the city or nearby areas, especially if it's a new area for me. I bring it so I can photoshop and upload photos to social media. I have certain standards for myself, and the phone editing is not quite good enough (nor does it synch well with the database that hold my photos).

    Given your blog, if I were you, I'd leave your laptop at home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim, I have gone back and forth for weeks now. I'll probably make my final decision right before I leave for the airport.

    ReplyDelete