Monday, April 11, 2022

Writers Who Kill at Malice Domestic

By Shari Randall/Meri Allen

 

 

 

 

Malice Domestic! Talk to anyone who’s not a mystery writer or reader and the words call to mind Act 3 Scene 2 of Macbeth, but those in the know will pack their bags for a trip to Maryland and the Malice Domestic conference.

 

The conference celebrates the traditional mystery, defined by Malice as “the genre … loosely defined as mysteries that contain no explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence, and would not be classified as ‘hard-boiled.’” Malice’s Agatha Awards recognize achievement in writing these books, best typified by the works of Agatha Christie.

 

This is the first year the conference is back in person and writers from around the world are wondering what to pack (an extra bag for books is handy) and mapping out with military precision which panels to attend. The guests of honor are always stellar and this year is no exception: Julia Spencer-Fleming, Rhys Bowen, Jeff Cohen, Walter Mosley, Ellen Hart (by video), and Sophie Hannah.

 

The Writers Who Kill blog will be well represented at the conference. Be sure to stop by our panels and say hello!

 

Friday, April 22, 2 PM “Blurring Genres: Blending a Cozy with Romance? With Fantasy?” will feature WWK bloggers Paula Gail Benson and Marilyn Levinson/Allison Brook along with Kaye George, Leslie Karst, Elizabeth Crowens, and Kathryn O’Sullivan.

 

Friday, April 22, at 3:00 "Solve a Crime or Feed the Cat? Sleuths and Their Animals" with WWKer Annette Dashofy, Anita Carter, Darlene Dziomba, Maria Hudgins, and Eileen Watkins.


Friday, April 22, at 3:00 - Our newest WWKers Korina Moss and Sarah Burr will speak on "Can you Google a Killer? How Sleuths Navigate Tech and Social Media." with Nicole Asselin, Vincent O'Neill, Sybil Johnson, and Barry Fulton.

 

Saturday, April 23, 9 a.m.: Shari Randall/Meri Allen will moderate “How Do Bookstores and Libraries Foster Community? AKA Murder in the Stacks” along with WWKer Molly MacRae and Molly Blackburn/Mollie Cox Bryan, Victoria Gilbert, and Dorothy St. James.

 

Saturday, April 23, 9 a.m.: 

“What I Learned About Writing from Anne Lamott, Stephen King and Others” will feature WWKer Martha Reed along with Leone Ciporin, Liz Milliron, Lynn Chandler Willis, Julie Anne Lindsay, and moderator E. A. Aymar.

 

Saturday, April 23, 10 a.m. 
“Farms, Fields and Felonies: Crime in Remote Settings” features WWKer Rosalie Spielman along with Maureen Klovers, Joan Long, Linda Norlander, and moderator Pat Remick.

Saturday, April 23, 11 a.m. WWKer Connie Berry will appear on the panel discussing “Last Night, I Dreamt I Went to Malice Again: Romantic Suspense Influences” with Judy Cater, DonnaRae Menard, Art Taylor, and Darcie Wilde.

Saturday, April 23, at noon “Would You Do What Your Sleuth Does?” will be moderated by the very busy WWKer Molly MacRae and features Kat Fast, Sharon LynnMisty Simon/Gaby Allan, and Teresa Trent.

 

Sunday, April 24, 10 a.m., “Sleuths with Unconventional Careers” with WWKer Grace Topping, Sherry Harris, Mary Angela, Heather Weidner, and moderated by Josh Pachter.

 

Have you ever been to Malice? Are you going this year? Let us know in the comments.

 



13 comments:

  1. Thanks, Shari, for promoting the panels at Malice. I will be on a panel at 10:00 on Sunday morning about characters with unusual occupations. Hope to see everyone there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how many of us are represented on panels. I have to get organized before the weekend so I know which panels to go to. Thank you, Shari for making it a little easier on me. Hope to see you all then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I got everyone - all these panels sound terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to soak in all the knowledge and experience that will be shared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to Malice. Can't wait to see friends I haven't spent real time with in two years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry not to be joining everyone this time....but that's going to be an exciting week in our family (new baby).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much to my dismay, I have not been to Malice...yet. I do hope to make it one day. The panels sound wonderful I couldn't find a reference to virtual attendance. Are they offering that this year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kait, I'm pretty sure there is no virtual option. I know they've been overwhelmed with just the live event, especially since they're basically doing three years' worth in one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many fabulous panels, all happening at the same time! Decisions, decisions! I need a clone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to miss Malice this year. I've gone in the past & had a wonderful time.

    I used to share a room with Gloria Alden, and do miss her.

    Have a great time, everybody!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Annette. I'm sorry to read that, but I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m excited for my first Malice! And stunned to be on a panel. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m skipping this year, going next year. I first met Grace Topping at Malice. What a kind person she was and is! And Debra and Marilyn and Molly and even my editor.

    ReplyDelete