Thursday, April 21, 2022

A Few Writerly Observations by Marilyn Levinson

Becoming a proficient fiction author develops through hard work and constant writing. Over the course of my writing career, I've written twenty-four novels. I'd like to share with you a few observations I've made regarding changes in my writing process and some writerly issues that puzzle me.

Plotting: When I first started out, I found plotting to be the hardest part of novel writing. I moved ahead like gangbusters the first five chapters, then stopped not certain how to proceed. I needed a good deal of help from my mentor. Eventually, I managed to write out synopses and followed my outline. These past few years I've been writing the Haunted Library series as Allison Brook. I think in many ways it's easier to write a series than a standalone because many of the characters as well as the setting and the tone are set in the first book.

Since I worked from a detailed outline, I considered myself a plotter. I knew who would be murdered, the major plot points, the array of clues and red herrings. But I discovered my process changed when writing the last four books in the series. As always, I knew the book's major theme and the two seemingly unrelated elements that come together at the end. But I was no longer working from an outline. I had the option to veer off in various directions into the great unknown. 

To my amazement, this didn't frighten me. I'd changed into a pantser—sort of. Somehow writing so many books had given me the confidence to have faith in my plotting. To know I would move ahead and write the right scenes to bring each book to its logical conclusion. This didn't mean I no longer needed the assistance of my dear fellow Plothatchers occasionally, but sometimes simply by being on the verge of asking for their input I found the answer to what I was seeking. Which leads me to believe that we authors know more about the book we're writing than we think.

Changing the murderer:  While I've never changed my murder victims, I have changed the identity of a few murderers from those I originally had in mind. I think this can only be possible if a writer isn't following an outline set in stone. I like to supply my readers with many possible murder suspects because part of the fun of reading a mystery is figuring out who dun it. Also, as I write each book, I get to know my characters better—their personalities, their value systems and their secrets. Sometimes this results in my casting a different character as the killer. In fact, I recently changed the murderer in my Work In Progress for a variety of reasons. 

Grammar and words: Grammar rules evolve just as language evolves, and we'd better keep up with the times. For example, I once thought I was pretty good when it came to using commas. These days I defer to others. I used to put in a comma to separate compound sentences. Now I find my editors often remove them. They also remove commas before such adverbs as "too" and "finally," words I always comma'd. Now I question whether an adverbial phrase requires a comma when once I was certain that it did. 

Compound word, hyphenated words or two words: Here we have three possibilities and I often choose the wrong one. I thought "homecooked" was a word, but my editor changed it to "home-cooked." "Semi-circular" seemed right to me, but no, "semicircular" won out. There are more of these word/words than one would imagine. I'm grateful that at this point in my career, I have an editor and a copy editor to sort them out.

Has your writing method evolved? Do you have any word usage or grammar issue that puzzles you? Please share if you do.



8 comments:

  1. I'm more of a plotter these days. Good overview of your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margaret. Right now I'm back in the plotting stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog. Yes – my writing style has definitely changed. I’ve evolved from full-on (hyphen?) pantser to general outline plotter. I know my main character, my victim, at least three turning points, a few red-herrings, a few suspects – these always grow, and a grand finale. Rarely is anything according to plot in the final product, but the basic structure remains the same and the changes are both organic and logical. Sometimes those pesky characters take over and I always enjoy following their lead!

    As for commas – they remain a mystery and I am eternally grateful to those who know better than I.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thanks, Kait. Interesting, how we change our writing styles over the years.
    Commas—I've given up on knowing when to use them in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing about your writing process.

    I too, struggle with when to hyphenate words. And the commas! My husband used to say he had to perform a "comma-ectomy" on my first draft. (Is the hyphen used correctly there?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This peek into your process is very comforting, Marilyn. We change and I suppose it makes sense that our process does also. As far as those puzzling grammar changes, I’m with you. That missing comma before “too” still throws me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Day late replying because I was boiling maple sap all yesterday.

    When it comes to grammar, I've gone the other way. I started more avant guarde leaving commas out when the meaning was clear and I disdained the Oxford comma as left over by the British Empire. Now, I find it easier to stick all the darn commas in. No one complains.

    I think your plotting style is called planster -- you start with a bare-bones plot and then freely modify as you write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim,
    I think you're right. I've become a planster.

    Shari and Kathleen,
    I think grammar and punctuation evolve just as our writing processes change.

    ReplyDelete