Sunday, April 10, 2022

BOOK MAGIC by Korina Moss

 I’m sure it’s no surprise that as a young girl, I loved books. In a good book, I was transported to the author’s world, feeling every emotion her characters felt, delighting in their triumphs, and wanting to read just one more chapter. I re-read Little Women countless times as a 10-year-old, not because I didn’t know the outcome, but because I wanted to hang out with the March sisters. I read all the Nancy Drew mysteries for the excitement of tagging along with Nancy, Bess, and George to discover the twists and turns of their latest mystery. It was where the first spark of my desire to become an author originated. I wanted to possess that magic that could make others feel the way I did when I read a good book. 

My dream grew along with me, and I often replayed snapshots in my mind of what it would look like to be a writer and to see my creation in bookstores alongside authors I’ve read. I was able to realize that dream when my first book, Cheddar Off Dead, debuted on March 29th.

The paperbacks were on the Barnes & Noble bookshelves for five days before I could get to one because of the busy publicity schedule of releasing my book (and my son having a birthday at the same time). When the day came, one of my sisters drove two hours to share that experience with me. There it was, shelved next to Leslie Meier’s Lucy Stone series, one I’d been reading since the 90s! I hope her longevity rubs off on my Cheese Shop Mystery series. 


The staff made a fuss over me and put a signed copy sticker on the books after I signed them. I’d practiced my signature beforehand like an actor might practice his Oscar speech. Alas, my signature still doesn’t have enough of a flourish, but maybe I’ll develop that with enough signings. 

One of the larger Barnes & Nobles has Cheddar Off Dead displayed on a special New & Notable rack with, among other books, Nine Lives by Danielle Steel! Did I ever think my book would be next to one of Danielle Steel’s? (Just in case you’re confused, I’m the New, she’s the Notable.) 


Seeing the book in bookstores was the physical manifestation of my dream. The book was real, and it was out there. That part had to happen for the other part of my author dream to be possible—could I impart book magic onto readers? 

I did my best to accomplish it, but only the Cheddar Off Dead readers can answer that. 


Readers: What book from your childhood made you believe in "book magic"?







10 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Korina. I hope you took lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great feeling to see your b ook on the shelf! Hope you enjoy every moment of this ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Korina. Indeed, you will impart the magic to your readers. I have no doubt.

    Like you, Little Women and Nancy Drew formed the basis of my imaginative leaps. I still cherish those books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Debra!
    Thanks, Kait! Our childhood books really stay with us, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the ride! Nancy and her pals and Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My "book magic" started with Marie McSwigan's "Snow Treasure."

    I had a great deal of difficulty learning to read. One summer, an aunt who was a teacher sat me down every morning for instructions in phonics, which was not how reading was taught in my elementary school.

    When the new school year started, one of our first assignments was a book report on a historic novel. The school librarian had assembled a collection of them from which we could choose.

    I reluctantly took "Snow Treasure." I was sure I was in for a terrible struggle. I brought the book home and after supper, I opened it to see how bad this was going to be.

    And, to my surprise and delight, I could read it!

    I have not stopped reading since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story! And what a great aunt you had to take the time with you.

    Thank you also, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Korina. Enjoy every minute. Little Women was an important book for me. Also, I enjoyed Hester Burton’s historical novels.

    ReplyDelete