Monday, March 13, 2017

Ruby Slippers for Me, Please


By Shari Randall

While I was recuperating from the flu, I watched my share of classic films on TCM. Hollywood movie musicals have healing properties, after all. While holed up on the couch I discovered a Facebook group for fans of classic movies – Turner Classic Movies Fan Site! Yes, there really is an exclamation point in the name.

Fans from around the globe meet on the site to share their love of classic film – defined as a movie at least fifty years old. This guideline is routinely ignored by enthusiastic fans. I don’t mind. This group has been a great source of fun and good movies for my watch list.

A thread from this group blew up last week with a fun question: What prop, from any movie, would you most want to own?

Over 700 people replied and responses are still coming in.

Mystery readers will be happy to know that the Maltese Falcon statue from the Humphrey Bogart movie was one of the top wants. Shortly after that entry appeared, another fan said he wanted the Millennium Falcon.

Other fans lusted for the clothes of famous screen actresses from Rita Hayworth to Jean Harlow; the ring from The Lord of the Rings; and Audrey Hepburn’s Royal Ascot hat from My Fair Lady.

I put in a pitch for Steve McQueen’s Mustang from Bullitt. The Batmobile, James Bond’s Aston Martin, and the Back to the Future Delorean were tops with car enthusiasts.

Other props were more portable: Ralphie’s BB gun from Christmas Story; Moses’ staff from The Ten Commandments; Dracula’s cape; Gene Kelly’s umbrella from Singin’ in the Rain.

The top two wants? Scarlett O’Hara’s curtain dress and Dorothy’s ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz.

I’ve visited the ruby slippers at the Smithsonian’s Museum of American History. They were small – size five – and a bit worn. Not surprising, as they were one of several pairs of cheaply made props that Judy Garland actually danced in.

The shoes are deteriorating, so the Smithsonian ran a Kickstarter campaign to fund their restoration. If you are a fan, this is good news, as the beloved footwear will be repaired and conserved for the future. If you are a fan, this is bad news, since the ruby slippers will be removed from view while the conservation process takes place. The last day to see the slippers is April 23, 2017.

What artifact from a movie or book would you like to own?



10 comments:

  1. After my post yesterday on "Simplify" my response must be that I don't need any artifacts from movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the spirit of simplification, a refrigerator magnet book cover of the Maltese Falcon. I put a magnet on the dishwasher when it's running or clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a prop I would like to own, mainly because I don't think the reality (like the ruby slippers) could live up to the aura the imagination brings to them. I have loved the magic of seeing multiple props on the large and small screen and the happiness, fear, affection, etc. they have brought me there, and I'm always grateful when I can visit again. Wait--I take that back--the bell in It's a Wonderful Life. That would look lovely on my tree, and if it ever rang of its own accord...well, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It amazes me that the Maltese Falcon still comes up number one. My husband and I were in Malta last spring (wonderful place) and they had replicas of it on sell in the gift shops.

    I'm with Jim and don't need anymore items for my home. But I think sometimes a unique item would be nice to have--I would gladly get rid of some other things to make room for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Jim, I have so many things given to me or bought on my travels that I can't think of one thing else to add to all my stuff. Even a signed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird, would probably just collect dust on my shelves of so many books throughout my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought, even before I got to it in the blog, was Scarlett's curtain dress! But I have to admit I don't need (or really want) more stuff! I love the refrigerator magnet idea.

    We do have a replica of The Christmas Story's leg lamp in the front window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, I have to admit, after all my moves I like your "Simplify" philosophy!

    Great idea, Margaret! A fridge magnet wouldn't take up any room and would be useful.

    Kait, you were not alone! Lots of people would also like that bell.

    Grace, you are the only person I know who has ever been to Malta. You must have picked up a few souvenirs, yes?

    Warren, that was a top want!

    Gloria, I have so many signed books but I could never part with them. That's one souvenir I like.

    KM - what a riot! I laugh just thinking about that leg lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take a Delorean if no one else wants it. I'd also take Katharine Hepburn's clothing from Philadelphia Story! To have to choose between Doris Day and Katharine Hepburn would be sad, even if they are/were totally different. Doris's clothing was wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi EB, the Delorean is yours! I'm with you about the clothes - they were so elegant.

    ReplyDelete