Friday, November 4, 2016

The Wrong Way Down by Elizabeth Daly: A review by Warren Bull




The Wrong Way Down by Elizabeth Daly: A review by Warren Bull

Elizabeth Daly has been described as Agatha Christie’s favorite writer in the book

titled Murderess Ink: The Better Half of Mystery.

I wrote an earlier review of Nothing Can Rescue Me by this author, concluding that the novel was well written and interesting. I noted that a comparison of her protagonist, Henry Gamadge, with Dorothy L. Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey was not unreasonable. I recommended that novel but noted that it was not on a par with works by Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers.
The Wrong Way Down, first published in 1946, has me reconsidering my conclusions. In my opinion this book does show more originality than either of the two novels by the author I read before. It lured me in and then an unexpected plot twist overturned every one of my expectations. I always try to avoid giving specific details and I will continue to do so in this review. Suffice it to say that there is a touch of genius in this work. I recommend it very highly.

If I have not said it before, do NOT read the blurb on the cover of this mystery or any other mystery. For that matter don’t read the blurbs on any work of fiction. Blurbs appear to be written by people who think nothing of giving away the twists and turns that authors labor to construct and place with care in the particular place in the manuscript where they are most effective. Some reviewers also undercut authors when they cannot overcome the impulse to expose key information that resounded emotionally which they came upon when the author wanted the information revealed. Spoilers are called spoilers for a reason.


And as reminder to me, it is not a good idea to judge a writer by reading only one of two of his or her works. This is a great book and earns my highest recommendation.

9 comments:

  1. Excellent points, Warren. You are right about reading the blurbs. After reading them I find myself reading with expectations. They give away far too much. I have authors that I love, but have discovered that I don't love all their books equally. When I recommend their books to friends, I frequently tell them which book by the author I didn't like as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about reading blurbs. I have stopped reading Amazon reviews of any books I pick up for the same reason. It really bugs me to be told the plot of the story before I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when a blurb tells all -- they should tease a prospective reader, not ruin the story. At least in some places reviews can be marked as having spoilers -- but again, why does anyone need to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren, I might read a little bit of a blurb, but rarely read the whole think. I'll think twice before reading any blurbs now. This sounds like a book I'd like to read. Do you think it's still available for sale? I don't imagine it's in any library anymore because of the publishing date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Warren! My TBR is positively tottering thanks to this series of reviews!
    I so agree with you about spoilers. A few years back, an absolutely wonderful, Agatha award winning book called Code Name Verity had spoilers in the artwork of the endpapers of the book DESIGNED BY THE PUBLISHER! At her signing, the author had to tell people not to look at them when they read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How true one should not judge an author by one or two of his/her works! Most authors have good books and not-so-good ones. We'd miss a lot if we dismissed an author too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. I love the way you are reviewing the classics. Definitely adds to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reviewing Elizabeth Daly, whom I have enjoyed over the years. Read Murder in Volume Two, wherein Henry meets someone important to him.

    ReplyDelete