Friday, June 22, 2012

Phantom Cow Haunts Golf Course




There has been a recent addition to the pantheon of desperados in and around Kansas City.  From the “Bleeding Kansas” days of the James and Younger brothers, through the machine gun murders of the “Kansas City Massacre” and the benign rule of Boss Tom Pendergast, colorful and dangerous characters have populated the streets and the imaginations of people in this Midwest metropolis.


According to the Kansas City Star dated 6/16/12 the latest shadowy figure emerged in late April of this year when a tractor trailer drove off an interstate bridge, destroyed nearly 200 feet of guardrail, fell to the street below and burst into flames. Sadly the driver died two weeks later.  The truck was carrying dozens of cows to a feedlot.  All were captured…except one.



In the interest of fair reporting it should be noted no one has suggested the cow was in any way involved in causing the crash.  No charges against her have been filed to date.
The canny bovine remained in hiding behind a stone wall near the Sunflower Hills Golf Course for days while the other animals were tracked down, rounded up and sent on their way.  




Since that time the cow has eluded capture. From time to time golfers report seeing a lone cow in the twilight on the edge of the course but if pursued she fades into woods and disappears. Police and Park Rangers formed a posse shortly after she was first sighted but she eluded capture.





Her grazing area has been identified between three small lakes. A pen has been set up with a blue plastic bucket of corn, a salt lick and water. So far she has not been trapped. Tracks suggest that the cow roams the course at night avoiding the greens but leaving unmistakable evidence of her presence on the fairways and in the rough.  




Authorities believe she has joined a band of wild roving deer for company.  She has earned the nickname of the Phantom Cow. The saga of this free spirit continues.   When I learn more, gentle reader, I will keep you informed.


I say run free. Moo proudly. What do you say?

17 comments:

  1. I grew up next door to a dairy farm, Warren. The cows roamed the neighborhood regularly. One time there was a rustling at my window. I opened the curtain and there was a peeking cow.

    Sometimes when we waited at the school bus stop, we were asked to help capture the cows, who ran by down the road. They didn't want to go to school either.

    So--this isn't an unusual phenomenon--cows are blatant marauders. Unless spooked and they stampeed, they are usually harmless. But don't provoke them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EB. I guess the Phantom is a throwback to earlier times when marauding cows roamed the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel compelled to post a link to the great, and well-regarded, epic song, "Cows With Guns" -- evidently it has inspired at least one cow.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5s5qGg01nE

    I dare you to say you won't be humming the chorus all day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has someone been smoking cow patties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Susan,

    I was not aware of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, that was downright unkind! I'll have that song in myhead all day now!

    I want to see the phantom cow in that herd of deer. I imagine that's quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know "Cows with Guns" but I find myself humming Fred Small's "If I were a moose and you were a cow
    Would you love me anyhow?
    Would you introduce me to your folks" and then another line about "no moose jokes."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warren and Susan you both have given me my laughs and smiles for the day. Laughing is good for ones health so thank you for making me healthier and happier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just listened to "If I were a moose..." Another musical gem. I never know where my blogs will lead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sounds like a clever and resourceful cow. Long may she roam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anita, It's good we still have heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moo proudly, indeed! Good for the cow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a random visitor. I enjoyed the post and comments thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete