Friday, April 6, 2012

The Writing LIfe


The Writing Life.

Recently an author with a book that had not yet been released asked on the Sisters in Crime on-line website how it was possible that the book was on sale at Amazon before it was available from the publisher.

The question reminded me of when a copy of my first novel, Abraham Lincoln for the Defense, was on sale at Amazon before its release date. Out of curiosity I bought the book. Tucked neatly inside the front cover was a personal note I had written to a reviewer of the local paper, The Kansas City Star.

Before the book came out I met the reviewer after a talk he delivered and asked if he would consider reviewing it. He politely informed me that he got dozens of book for possible review every day. He explained that the paper mostly reviewed works by established authors and that the chances of me getting a review were extremely small. He said, although he could not promise a review, he would read my novel. He advised me that the newspaper had a policy of not accepting packages for employees and that I should mail him a copy with a note reminding him of this conversation. When the book came out I did.

Apparently he sold the book without even cracking open the cover.

I don’t believe the reviewer lied to me. I think he had every intention of reading the book when he spoke to me, but by the time he received it, he had forgotten our conversation. He probably has many similar conversations with new authors.

It was an early lesson in the relationship between writers and reviewers that I have never forgotten.

12 comments:

  1. You call that a relationship? Reminds me of Dire Straits lyrics, "money for nothing." Great gig if you can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly have learned a lot about writing since I first started down this trail - not only the writing part, but the business part. Alas, a lot of fantasy balloons have been punctured, and I'm sure many more still will be.
    Oh, well, reality never hurts unless we let it. I know you've taken it all in stride and moved on, Warren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EB, That's part of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gloria,

    Part of writing is picking your ego up off the floor and continuing despite whatever just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren, my husband, the publisher, says, "When you send out review copies it's like sending your kids out into the world, you just have to let them go. I feel his pain."

    If it's any consolation, reviewers are often unpaid or barely paid at all. The Star pays its reviewers the princely sum of $25 per.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, That a good way to think about it. I know reviewers and underpaid and over-worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warren, How odd that your note came back to you in this way! I have a manuscript in the polishing stage, and have wondered if I should back away from publishing entirely. Schmoozing with agents and reviewers is just not my thing.

    Best,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, I have published with small publishers and self-published. You might consider looking at small publishers who do not require agent submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good things for an unpubbed to know, Warren, Gloria & Linda. Thanks for sharing your experiences here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If reviewers only review the top ten books, it doesn't show much imagination on their part. I don't need to read a review about Connolly's latest book. I want to learn about new writers. That guy should have read your book...or at least open it and remove your note before selling it. But I have seen my Reviewers Copy on Amazon, too. That's the name of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Warren, I am thankful your work seems to be getting the right kind of attention now. I love hearing (and reading) the good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good less in the reality of this crazy writing thing we do.

    ReplyDelete