Thursday, April 20, 2023

What Do You Write? by Marilyn Levinson

Yesterday I started writing a short story. Not a momentous event for many novelists, but it was for me. The last short story I wrote, "I'm Getting Married," was published eleven years ago and wasn't a mystery. And yet, writing short stories was my first venture into fiction writing. I moved on to writing novels for kids and eventually to writing mysteries for adults.

While many of my fellow mystery authors manage to write both novels and short stories, I seemed to have forgotten how to write short stories. My interest got piqued while chatting with Barb Goffman and a few other authors at Malice some years ago. Recently, I nudged my friend Kaye George for some advice and listened carefully to a few of Art Taylor's webinars, hoping to catch that magical je ne sais quoi that would let me once again write a complete story in twenty or fewer pages.

I'd been invited to write stories for mystery anthologies before and always said no. But when a friend asked me to do this, I immediately said yes. I loved the topic, and I was determined to create a story that was appropriate and satisfying. Various ideas ran through my mind. I settled on the one I thought the most fun and began.

It occurs to me that we writers often write in various genres. My first published books were for children, and I still consider myself a children's book author, though most of my energies go into writing adult mysteries. Many though not all of my books include a paranormal element. So many of my mystery-writing friends are trying their hand at writing suspense novels. We are creative people and constantly come up with new ideas and situations. That might also include writing in another format or genre, just as so many actors move on to directing movies and becoming producers of their television shows. We are inspired by the never-ending need to come up with the new, the different, the exciting.

What genres do you write in and why?


11 comments:

  1. Interesting that you say you have forgotten how to write short. I began as a shorts writer, moved on to novels, and now find myself suffering the same feeling. What used to come easily is now a struggle. I'm hoping that practice makes comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote a number of short stories - maybe 50% became published, but I really prefer reading novels, and so have (mostly) given up writing short. For me, the time and effort it takes to create a worthwhile short story is much higher per word (or per penny paid) than for novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kait,
    I think we got used to writing in novel mode, where we have hundreds of pages to work through a complicated plot. As you say, I think we can get back to writing short stories by writing them.

    Jim,
    If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose writing novels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted you're trying your hand at writing a short story, Marilyn. I look forward to reading it. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Barb. Looking forward to seeing you at Malice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading short stories, but I find them so challenging to write. Maybe it's because I talk too much... I can't wait to read yours. And you've inspired me to get back into the genre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love short stories! I usually have a collection or anthology on my nightstand and read one story at bedtime (not quite as comforting as being read to, but satisfying just the same.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started with shorts,and finished my first book last fall. I tend to take a month and write a batch of shorts, then retreat back to a book manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori,
    I think it's fun to try different genres—even poetry, perhaps. Hmmm. It's been many years since I've written a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathleen,
    I find I'm reading more short stories these days, though my main love is the novel, both to read and to write.

    Margaret,
    I think it's wonderful that you write short stories and are now also writing novels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As you know, I'm much more comfortable writing short stories and I think I'm pretty good at that. But, for some reason, I have to take up the challenge to do novels. My short stories tend to be darker. Sometimes much darker. That's just the way they turn out.

    ReplyDelete