Thursday, April 27, 2023

Navigating the Muddle in the Middle: My Top Ten Tips by Connie Berry



Philip Larkin, the British poet, novelist, and librarian once said, “…we like stories because of the muddle in the middle. The middle takes up more story time and space than the beginning and ending combined. And making that muddle work dramatically or comedically takes thought, planning.”

Every Writer Faces the Terrifying Muddle in the Middle

Anyone who’s ever written a book knows that the middle is the hardest to write. Setting things up is exciting. Resolving the problem is fun. The muddle in the middle is where our brains are tested and we often think, “This isn’t going to work!” At least I do. In every book I’ve ever written, I have that moment, the dark night of the soul, where I think, “Nope. I’ve written myself into a corner this time for real. I’m going to have to throw it all out and start again.” I have, however, learned a few techniques to propel me through the muddle toward the final resolution. I am not the only one who’s thought of these things, but here they are—techniques to move you through the dreaded middle and keep the reader turning pages.

My Top Ten Tips for Surviving the Muddle in the Middle

        1. Surprise the reader.

        2. Change the pace of the action (slow to fast or vice versa).

        3. Introduce a misunderstanding between characters.

        4. Give your protagonist a moment of clarity or a new discovery.

        5. Change the location of the action.

        6. Show the consequences of a previous act or decision.

        7. Create a physical barrier (including time).

        8. Introduce a dead end (“all is lost”).

        9. Highlight an unresolved contradiction.

        10. Reflect your main conflict in a subplot.

I’m sure there are more techniques, but these are my top ten. Just so you know, I haven’t (yet) ever had to trash my WIP and begin again. There’s always a way forward.

What About You?

Are you intimidated by the muddle in the middle? What are your go-to techniques?

6 comments:

  1. Great list, Connie.

    I like to remember that whenever my characters resolve one problem, they must create/discover a bigger one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get stalled in the middle (not to mention the beginning and the ending sometimes, too.) I listen to my characters, who usually tell me where they want to go and what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My extreme solution is to throw a snake in the room and watch the action unfold. But a "verbal snake" works, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very timely for my current WIP – and great advice. Printing….

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very useful list, Connie. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice, Connie. In my muddled middles I try to remember to keep my protagonist between an obstacle and a hard place. At least I like to think I do. Sometimes I don't take my own advice.

    ReplyDelete