Thursday, April 13, 2023

Martin Walker's To Kill a Troubadour

 


By Margaret S. Hamilton

 

In October 2022, we took a long-awaited trip to the Dordogne region of southwest France. After we settled into a hotel in Sarlat, we enjoyed day trips to prehistoric caves, medieval villages, churches, castles, and wineries. I looked for Martin Walker’s fictional Bruno Courreges, Chief of Police, and his truffle-hunting basset hound, Balzac, in every Dordogne village we visited.

 

Resistance memorial in Sarlat

Sarlat



To Kill a Troubadour is the latest in the Bruno series. A major and minor plot emerge: a wrecked stolen car is found on a rural road, with a sniper’s bullet the only piece of evidence. And a local young mother is terrified of her abusive ex-husband, released early from prison without her knowledge or consent.

 


In the Sarlat area

Bruno is immersed in the investigation. Could the sniper be after members of Les Troubadours, a local music group, and singer Joel Martin? Martin is a Catalan separatist and the Spanish government has banned his latest hit, “Song for Catalonia,” after millions downloaded his song.

 

Rocamadour

Eyrignac Gardens

A major political power tries to disrupt European unity using bots, blackmail, and a staged explosion. Bruno partners with the highest levels of French intelligence to stop the disruption.

 

Vezere River below ancient cave dwellings

Museum of Prehistory



All ends well. We enjoy Bruno’s participation in roasting a wild boar in a fire pit and preparing meals using produce from his garden, eggs from his chickens, and wine from a local vineyard.

 

Saturday market in Sarlat



In his narrative, Walker provides a brief history of the troubadours in the region, particularly Eleanor of Aquitaine’s love of music and her patronage of the troubadours. Eleanor’s Occitan-speaking grandfather Duke William, one of the first troubadours, learned about Arab music and poetry during his Crusades in Spain.





 

After Eleanor married Henry II, the Occitan culture and language of Aquitaine spread to England and Normandy. Street signs in Albi and Toulouse were bilingual, Occitan and French.

 

Road sign in French and Occitan

To Kill a Troubadour is another stellar book in the Bruno, Chief of Police series. Walker nimbly weaves in the influence of history on present-day political concerns, augmented by luscious descriptions of the food and wine of the region.

 

Beynac, one of Richard the Lionheart's castles, above the Dordogne River

Readers and writers, do you have a favorite author who uses an appealing setting?

11 comments:

  1. Being partial to things up north, I enjoy William Kent Krueger's descriptions of his invented Minnesota county, home of his protagonist Cork O'Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pix!

    The TBR groans. I’d not heard of this series. Definitely going to look it up! As for setting. I am a Daphne du Maurier addict. So much so that when I first traveled to England in the 1970s, I basically did a book tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the series, and love how he presents the setting, inserting enough detail to be fascinating without overwhelming the story. (There are times, though, when I'm not sure about some of the food he loves.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You travel to the most interesting places, Margaret. I'm a homebody so even if I like the setting on my books, I'm content to stay home! Although, like Kait, Cornwall, a place where my mom's family came from, is of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post. I love how the review is interwoven with the pics. Bruno definitely goes on my TBR. My favorite novels with setting as a character are by Donna Leon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me about the Bruno series, Margaret. I've been meaning to get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, I agree with you. Krueger's setting becomes a character in his books.
    Kait, I second the nomination of Cornwall. I haven't visited and am determined to do so.
    Kathleen, I agree about some of the Dordogne food, particularly the wild game.
    Kerrie, they're wonderful books. You would enjoy the historical aspects.
    Elaine, you live in a beautiful place year-round.
    Candace, I agree with you about Donna Leon's Venice. I retraced Brunetti's movements all over Venice.
    Molly, you would enjoy the Bruno books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Donna Leon's beautiful drawn settings.
    I also love Louise Penny's Canadian sites--even though Three Pines is fictional.
    I will have to check out this series--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I really have to dive into this series. Your photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori, Walker does an amazing job portraying daily life and the history of the Dordogne.

    Shari, you will enjoy the Bruno books.

    ReplyDelete