Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Wax on, Wax off - 10 Tips for Polishing Your Manuscript by Martha Reed

When I first started writing my stories, I would often despair looking over my draft manuscripts because they seemed so rough, so cobbled together, so bottom line unpublishable. Word choices were poor, verb choices were lame. The plot rambled like goats all over the landscape. There were way too many adverbs and adjectives.

Then, with time and continued practice, I learned an important lesson. At the start of each new writing project, it’s vital to have fun with the raw story and get it down while it’s still fresh, exciting, and interesting. Play with a story idea for too long and it becomes brittle and stale. The last thing you want to do is become bored with it. I needed to give myself permission to just write it down. Editing and polishing the manuscript to perfection came later in the writing process.

“Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere. Start by getting something—anything—down on paper. What I’ve learned to do when I sit down to work on a shitty first draft is to quiet the voices in my head.”
― 
Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

I think polishing a manuscript must be like the work a lapidary does. You start out with a pretty pebble and with knowledge and consistent application you grind away the cracks and the grit and the sand until you have a gorgeously sparkling gemstone to show everyone.

So, after I’ve typed “The End” or “###” on my draft manuscript, what are my next steps?

1.     I save the manuscript to my computer and on a thumb drive. This way I have backup copies in case I go down an editing rabbit hole and need to return to my original thoughts. (It happens.)

2.     I create a copy, “Rev 1.” This is the version I edit. Some writers print Rev 1 on paper and edit the story from there. Hey, whatever floats your boat, as long as it works. I prefer to stay digital.

3.     Using the “Read Aloud” feature under “Review” in Microsoft Word, I listen to the whole story unfold, editing Rev 1 as I go. I listen for a consistent and interesting narrative tone, slash any duplications, and check for continuity in character names and descriptions.

4.     While I’m listening to the story, my internal editor is also listening in the background to the paragraph and chapter length for pacing. As I go along, I give myself plenty of time to pause the audio and think: would this material work better if I reordered things? If I was the reader, would I get up now and make a cup of tea? What if I moved this section from here to there? Now is the time to make those structural changes.

5.     I remove any tropes or cliches, overused words, or phrases. (What’s your favorite overused word? Mine is “silhouette.”)

6.     Once I cross the 200 page mark, I deliberately shorten chapters and sentences to increase the tension and pick up the pace.

7.     When the initial audio reading is over, I work back to front to identify and reinforce any themes. I know “theme” is a bad word we all learned in high school, but your book is about something. Why not make it a theme?

8.     Your characters have been sharing their story with you. What has been revealed? Add any new and surprising insights that will hook your reader’s interest and their emotions.

9.     When Rev 1 is done, I send it to my trusted Beta readers. After reviewing their notes, I make additional tweaks.

10.  I send the final Rev 1 to my professional editor and make those suggested changes, as needed.

After that, I call this one done and start the next one!

What is your process for editing and polishing? Do you have any tricks you’d like to share?

 


11 comments:

  1. Very intereesting to see your process, which is much more streamlined than mine -- which may be why I only manage a book a year. Great that you can create your final version with what I gather is one major rewrite and three polishings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    Silhouette? It's an evocative word which conveys subtle meanings. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I'm not sure it's part of my working vocabulary, much less a word I overuse. Just shows us how interesting and complex your writing can be. (And "just" is one of my overused words.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The readaloud feature is such a godsend! Love this blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim, good morning. Yes, my final is generally one major rewrite (I'm in the middle of one of those right now) and three polishings. I've learned that if I do more than that the story loses some of its life and becomes brittle. I also manage one book a year, but I think that's because I love getting lost in the research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself stopping when I use silhouette to see if I meant to use 'shadow.' I also like pausing to do a quick word search to see if I'm using the best word choice, but I don't like to get too pedantic because even if I love the new word, it can't pull the reader out of the story just because I liked using it. It's my little vocabulary game - which may also explain why I only produce one book a year. Hey, writing is supposed to be fun. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kait - I agree. I find Read Aloud really helps with typos - or any word gaps I neglected to fill in because my brain was racing as I typed the story out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this excellent list, Martha. My favorite over-used word is "that." That word is constantly being edited out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I don't read Dean Koontz much anymore, but I remember thinking I could always count on a least four "susurrations" from him. For me, it's the narrowing of the eyes or the creasing of the brow. My characters are going to have pronounced crow's feet by the time this series ends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori - I needed to remove "nodded." I've been using it as a placeholder, meaning to come back and edit them with something more descriptive. I didn't realize how many placeholders I had. My favorite edit to far is a note to "add three small paragraphs of setting description here." I'm glad I found that note before my beta readers did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice, Martha. I keep a list of over-used words. It's long. Some are on it because they can show up once in a story but, unless there's a good reason, twice is too many. That's where words like "nod," "narrow," "shrug," and "silhouette" fit in. Yep, I love silhouette, too, and love knowing how to spell it. What a weird thing to love. ("Thing" and "weird" are on my list, too. So are "too" and "so.")

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've given us great insight into your process, Martha. I think others should share theirs so we'd have a consensus of what works for everyone. My markers are done in red font so they stand out. Usually a question mark enclosed by parentheses. Those have to be dealt with before anyone reads it. I find the read aloud feature stilted--like every word is new and unrecognized by the software speaker. Not English as a second language, more English spoken by The Alien. But it works for you!

    ReplyDelete