Saturday, March 25, 2023

How Writing is Like Riding a Bicycle? by Kait Carson

Hi Peeps! I love Peeps, and since it’s spring and they are beginning to appear in stores, I thought I’d throw that in. By the way, after years of scientific testing, yellow chick Peeps are the best. So are discounted books.

 

To celebrate the re-release of Death by Sunken Treasure, I’m offering Death by Blue Water at $0.99 for a limited time.

 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

 

You might have noticed that 2023 has been a banner year for me in terms of publication. Two novels, two anthologies, and one serial novella after a desert dry seven-year stretch of relative nothingness. How did I do that? Well, to paraphrase a movie title – Kait got her groove back!

 

Writing a novel is hard work and distractions are plentiful. When I lost my job in 2020, I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought I had finally achieved the one thing I had ALWAYS claimed to want. Uninterrupted writing time. Then I took a look at my wanna do list of story ideas and vapor locked. It was long, intimidating, and I didn’t know where to start. Like the dog who chased the car, what did I do now that I caught it?

 

I had five story ideas shouting my name that I’d backburnered while I worked twelve-hour days. Then there was the one I’d begun when I broke my wrist. Where to start? I picked out my favorite idea, noodled around, dug out notes, outlined, sketched characters, toyed with inciting incidents, and then did it all over again with the next idea. Half first chapters filled my Scrivener files. Nothing meshed, nothing flowed. Even blogs became a trial. I’d forgotten how to write. Imposter syndrome, meet performance anxiety.

 

It took a while to figure out the problem. Writing, I discovered, is like riding a bicycle. We all rode as kids, right? Have you tried riding as an adult? Those first few miles are a bit on the wobbly side. Then you hit your stride. Somewhere between mile one and five, you’re even comfortable enough to take your hands off the handlebars and trust your muscle memory.

 

The first book I wrote after my self-imposed hiatus was both fun and torture. Nothing flowed, I’d forgotten the conventions of my genre, and I’d followed so many rabbit holes it’s amazing the book ever saw the end. Writing was the important thing at this point. It didn’t matter that it was lousy, it mattered that words were populating the page. Gradually, somewhere in the middle of the second book, things changed. Words and scenes came, not easily, they rarely do, but cohesively. My characters took over, or I had the sense to listen to them. My forced “if this then what happens next” questions became, “Hey, main character, now what are you going to do?” They didn’t fail me.

 

It's still not easy, but writing now feels right and comfortable. I’m learning to budget my time between new words, edits of old, marketing, and having a blast doing it all. Yep, Kait’s got her groove back.

 

Readers and writers, how do you get your groove back?

Kait Carson is the author of two series set in the steamy tropical heat of Florida. The Catherine Swope series is set in greater Miami, and the Hayden Kent series is set in, and under, the Fabulous Florida Keys. A new series is in the works, the Maine Lodge mysteries, paying homage to Kait’s current state of residence.

Like her protagonists, Kait is an accomplished SCUBA diver, hiker, and critter lover. She lives with her husband, four rescue cats and a flock of conures in the Crown of Maine where long, dark, nights give birth to flights of fictional fantasies.

You can reach Kait and sign up for her newsletter at www.kaitcarson.com.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Kait,

    Soemtimes we get in our own way by overthinking and forgetting that we have muscle memory to help us out -- both in riding a bicycle and writing.

    Glad you have your groove back!

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to have you return to your groove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jim and Margaret - Thank you both! Jim, you are so right, muscle memory plays in both instances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this, Kait. I think what resounds with me most is the part where, after wobbling along our adult bike-riding adventure, it starts to flow again. My, that flowing, flying, gliding feeling is so wonderful. For me, it's as much about remembering the joy as remembering how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought a copy of Death by Blue Water--looking forward to reading it!

    Haven't gotten my Peeps yet. They are produced by the Just Born company, founded by the Born candy-making family.

    As with most things, story ideas lurk in the concept of Easter candy. When the wind blows in the right direction, the Dove chocolate factory is within sniffing distance of where I live. Not log ago two workers became trapped in a chocolate vat. And last night, a factory which is a major producer of chocolate bunnies exploded, killing a number of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, Kait!! I'm excited for you to finally have the time to write and I'm excited for us to read all the books and stories to come! I'm so glad you got your groove back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Groovy post, Kait. Congratulations on overcoming the wobbles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pamela - YES, that is exactly the feeling I wanted to convey. Flying and joy. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @KM - I'll be publishing two hysterical Peeps photos today, thank you for reminding me. One is pandemic Peeps, the other Peeps framed.

    I would weigh a considerable amount more if I could regularly smell Dove chocolate. Oh, my. Their truffles, YES.

    I remember the workers trapped in the Mars chocolate vat. Fortunately, they were both rescued. The RM Palmer explosion is horrific. Such a sad, sad, event. As you say, there are seeds of stories in both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Korina - thank you! On all counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Molly! Whew, the feeling of freedom when you take off the training wheels and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to come back from the hiatus? It's like rediscovering what you love. So glad you've found your mojo again. Looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete