Thursday, February 17, 2022

With a Little Help From My Friends by Marilyn Levinson

Writing is a lonely business, made even more so by the restrictions imposed on us by COVID. Many questions arise as we pen a WIP, but we writers are a clever bunch and have figured out various means of helping one another. I'd like to share with you a few of the ways that I receive help with writerly problems that are only a post or an email away.

I don't belong to a critique group. Nor do I have beta readers to comb through my manuscript before sending it off to my editor. However, for the past twenty years I've been part of a small group of authors, all of whom have become dear friends. We help one another resolve plot problems, come up with title suggestions, devise more unique methods of murder, and weigh in on grammar questions. Recently, three of us decided to report on our day's writing productivity every evening—not just the words we managed to get down but breakthroughs in our plots. We cheer each other on. Occasionally there are days like yesterday when none of us wrote one word, but no one cares because this isn't a competition. Our arrangement encourages me to write on.

I am grateful to listservs like Crimescenewriter2 whose knowledgeable members offer answers to writers' questions about poisons, police procedures, head wounds, gun shots, knife stabbings and the like.  

And then there are all the wonderful webinars and zoom talks that Sisters in Crime and various chapters offer. Be it writing or social media advice, it's readily available to members.

I'm happy to contribute a blog post each month to Writers Who Kill. Because it's our policy that members edit as many of their fellow bloggers' posts as they have time for, we've gotten to know and support one another as we share our stories.

What groups or social media help you achieve your writing goals?

 





12 comments:

  1. We all need a little help from our friends, don't we? I have a four day a week sprint zoom with another writer to keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The support of fellow writers is an important part of my life. As most people, I've had my ups and downs in all aspects of my life, and knowing that the writing community is always there and ready to support my efforts, regardless of where I am, is essential

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where would we be without our writing friends? Being part of this blog and the writing community as a whole has been a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, Kathleen, and Shari,
    We're so lucky to have the support and comaraderie of each other and our writing community, especially at a time like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with you! I have my local writing chapter with me and a dedicated group of ladies from that group. I have sisters and friends who read and offer their opinions. And when I have questions, the guppies are there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel incredibly lucky to be part of this blog, this community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice post and I wholeheartedly agree. I'm thankful to have place and especially other writers to turn to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki,
    The Guppies are amazing! So many of us have belonged to the group for years. And though it's kinda supposed to be for unpubbed writers, we never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a hard time writing without spending time with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly right, Marilyn! I don't think I would have made it through the last two years with my mind intact if it weren't for my small group and the Guppies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three cheers for our writer-ly friendships!!

    ReplyDelete