Friday, April 14, 2017

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult: A Review by Warren Bull




The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult: A Review by Warren Bull

Image from screenrants 

The Tenth Circle was the first novel I read by Jodi Picoult. It was not her first. Jodi Picoult is the 

author of twenty-three novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, 

Leaving Time, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, 

Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes and My Sister’s Keeper. 

Discovering her work was a distinct pleasure. The Tenth Circle’s is a reference to Dante’s Inferno

which is an important part of the book. Also important are comic book art, Alaska Native Americans 

family and social concerns, and the contemporary sexual norms of American adolescents. If you 

think that sounds like an unusual mix that would require a talented storyteller to fit into one story, you 

would be correct. Picoult carries it off remarkably well.

She paints the picture of lives smashed to bits and partially repaired. Secrets are revealed by an act of 

violence. Each member of a family has to confront present behavior and demons from the past they 

thought buried and gone. I enjoyed Picoult springing surprises and keeping me guessing throughout 

the novel.

Her portrayal of the effect of an act of violence on the victim, the perpetrator, their families and their 

community is so realistic it was shocking.

I give my very highest recommendation to this book. I am adding an author to my must read group 

and I wish her a long productive career.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Warren,

    I was interested in your review since I haven't read this particular author. However, I know she is very popular. A teenage relative reads all of her novels and loves them. I'll pick up a copy on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She writes about such emotionally rich situations it's hard to put her books down. What made you decide to pick up The Tenth Circle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to an author I have not read, but sounds like someone in whom I'd be very interesting in taking a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shari, I agree with you about her books. Most of those I've read were book club picks, and everyone in either of my book clubs liked them. The only time we were disappointed was not with the book, but the movie made for My Sister's Keeper." They really changed that. I found Home Rules a very strong book, too. In fact, when I added a character with autism, her descriptions stayed with me for so long that I felt I did a good job with him, even thought I'd had some students with Aspergers. He returns in each book even if only for a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really nice of you to do a book review of less known authors. This will help them to gain public's attention. It seems like a good book to read and I will add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just visited your website which is informative and interesting one. I would like to appreciate you for such type of worthy and beneficial website. drakorindo

    ReplyDelete