Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ideal writing space and dress

Would dressing nice while writing make you a better writer?

I just read this article that says how you dress can affect your writing. That means I’m doomed.
My idea for dressing while I’m writing is either be in PJ’s, shorts, t-shirts and jeans. Imagine sitting 
in your home office dressed in a slinky dress and high heels. Or wearing a boa while typing. If you’re a 
male, would you sit all day long in a suit and tie—gads how do men stand those ties?

In comes your dog. He jumps at you and rips your pantyhose. Does anyone even wear them anymore? 
Or worse yet, your cat rubs against your navy blue pants and you stand up looking like you’re wearing 
a pair of fur pants.

I used to watch those shows like Ozzie and Harriet where the wife always dressed up and wore heels 
around the house. I have to admit, I wondered how she mopped the floors in those heels without falling on
her behind.

So okay, I can understand when you are meeting the public, an editor or agent, you may want to dress
properly. You’ll want to impress them. But why bother impressing the animals?

The next article is about work space. Do you need to have a neat office? If so, does that make you write 
in an orderly fashion? Maybe that’s what’s wrong with me. I’m looking around at my desk. I swear I
clean it off at least once every two weeks. Or is that months? But I know where everything is. Most 
of the time. 

I’m sure my characters are probably neater than I am. And they file correctly. I doubt they throw stuff in 
the wrong files and then can’t find it later, like for the next year or so.

Hmmm. Do I really want to transform my writing space? Does my space make me want to put in a load 
of laundry? Sometimes it does. After all I can hear the washer and dryer running in my office. Mostly I
tune them out.

Do you know our mood depends on the light we have in our room? Well, that’s good. I sit beside a 
window and can watch those nasty squirrels walk on my window screen. Of course it’s fun to scare them
off. Last year they took up eating my screens. I would've thought that would've killed them. It didn't. 
I simply have big holes covered by bricks on my screened in porch.

This article says you shouldn’t look at your neighbor’s brick wall. Imagine walking over to Harold and 
asking him to take it down so it doesn’t interfere with your muse. 

Looking at something pretty can trigger an endorphin high which will make you more creative. Or if 
you’re sick, it’ll make you heal faster.

Well, it’s time to put my muse to bed. It’s dark outside, the blinds are closed and my endorphin 
dumped for the night.

Tell me, what is your office like? Neat? Messy?






4 comments:

  1. Am sitting here reading this dressed in footies, sweatpants andy pj top. I feel no need to find a tuxedo.
    Behind the screen is a blank wall. My neighbor's brink wall would be fascinating in comparison. We not get into when I last cleaned this room. However, in deference to the article you read, I promise if someone offers me a three book deal any time today, I will put on pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't worry about what I wear when I write and it's a wonder I don't fall with all the files and books on the floor in my writing office.

    However, I can imagine dressing to get into character. What about writing as a transvestite? What does wearing clothes more common with the opposite sex feel like? How does a man feel when he puts on make-up? How would I feel wearing all the heavy gear worn my police officers? Would it make me feel more authoritative?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post, Dee. I can identify with all of it. When my desk faced the window, I was more inclined to watch the birds and forget what I was doing. But I do like to tack or tape pictures of the setting or things that pertain to my story on the wall. They inspire me--and keep me more consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The physical realm has no affect on my writing (except if my PC is giving me grief!). Everything comes from my head (even when I'm sick, I can still think-of course I don't mean anything too horrible)so, it can be raining, I could be wearing a robe or nothing at all.

    However, I do need quiet and I often fear that my husband will come home from work and I'll still be in my pjs. Who has time to dress?

    ReplyDelete