by Korina Moss
I'm giving over my spot today to Tanzy Kohl, a debut cozy mystery author whose first book in her Wigmaker Mystery series, Lethal Lacefront, recently launched. Here she is, in her own words, to tell you what she's learned as a new writer to the cozy mystery genre.
THE ART OF THE SLAY
Did you know that creating a custom wig requires lots of pre-planning? My amateur sleuth, Dee Alexander, will tell you: the dirt is in the details. And when I say “dirt” I mean the hard part that gets your hands dirty so to speak: exact head measurements from the client, their face shape, and the texture of their own hair are crucial details needed to fashion the perfect wig. It’s the same when trying to fashion the perfect cozy mystery. Planting the crime is just the beginning. Skillfully walking the reader through the story, and providing a satisfying ending, is what keeps them coming back.
As a wigmaker and YouTube wig reviewer, I wanted to make The Wigmaker Mysteries a place where readers could immerse themselves not only in solving the crime, but also in exploring a new world: the world of wigs.
SLAY, SNOOP, REPEAT
In Lethal Lace Front, book one of the series, I wanted to ensure that Dee and her best friend, Ruby Jackson, had an unbreakable bond, even when they disagree (and they do...a lot). Especially when it comes to investigating how the victim was killed and why. But I also wanted to weave in the day-to-day world of wig reviewing, so as Dee ticks off the suspects, she also relies on her wig community to assist her. And in between snooping, she shows the reader step-by-step tips on how to “slay” their wig to perfection. I wanted to include those moments to allow the reader to learn about a craft about which they may be unfamiliar. Since I love wigs, and know many others who do, creating a wig mystery was a no-brainer.
UNTANGLING THE MYSTERY
One of my greatest challenges as a writer who normally crafts historical fiction tales, transitioning to cozy felt as difficult as plucking a lace front that has no lace. Practically impossible! But thanks to several cozy mystery experts, including my developmental editor, Cheese Shop Mystery series author Korina Moss, I gradually got the hang of it and was able to bring Dee, Ruby, and the other cast of characters to life.
I had to learn all the expected aspects of a cozy, when to release details and when to hold back. How to plant clues and red herrings, and how to tie it all up nicely, like the purple boxes Dee uses to package all her wigs. By book two, I had gotten the hang of it, and when book three releases, I hope to have it down like a good melt.
KEEPING IT ALL SEAMLESS
As I learn more and more about Dee’s world and the people in it, I want to spin a believable, interesting and humorous yarn from book-to-book, exploring new ways to involve wig making and wig reviewing, while also managing the growth of each character. I love how Dee’s citified attitude clashes with Ruby’s Southern-fried sensibilities. I love how Dee navigates her relationship with the retired Charlotte detective, Godfrey Nash. I also love how Dee carefully balances her motherly instincts with her desire to stay close to her daughter Pria, who’s soon to leave the nest. All these things must be sewn together in a way that keeps the readers’ interest and tells a good mystery at the same time.
Writers: What do you think? Is it hard for you to maintain a reasonable co-existence between the mystery and the sleuth’s craft? Readers: What do you like most: the crime or the craft elements? Tell me about it in the comments!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tanzy Kohl loves to create daring, fun, and interesting fiction. Her first novel, Farley Malone & The Fudged Fables, is her contribution to middle-grade fantasy featuring African American characters. Her adult novel, In 5, 4, 3..., is a psychological thriller that is fast paced with short chapters and multiple POVs.
Her latest cozy series, The Wigmaker Mysteries, follows an amateur sleuth wigmaker and wig reviewer who leaves DC for small town North Carolina to start life over after abandoning TV news and a failed marriage.
Book one, Lethal Lace Front, is available in e-book and large print paperback edition on Amazon. Get the traditional paperback at www.tanzykohl.com, along with a free wig glossary and signed bookplate.
Instagram: @tanzykohl @mymaturestyle (real wig reviews)




No comments:
Post a Comment