By Lisa Malice
If you’re like me, you learned to love
mysteries from your parents. My first exposure came about when my family
outgrew our Sunday night viewing of The Wonderful World of Disney and
replaced it with The NBC Sunday Mystery Movie
(1971-1977). With different sleuths rotated through the weekly series lineup, my
family religiously followed Columbo, McCloud, and MacMillan & Wife catch
the bad guys, though my favorite was—and still is—The Snoop Sisters, starring the incomparable Helen Hayes and Mildred
Natwick as two gray-haired mystery-writing busybody sisters who use their sleuthing
skills to help their police detective nephew (Bert Convy) solve real-life
murders. Sunday nights during the summer were spent driving home from the
family cabin listening to The CBS Radio Mystery Theater. The radio plays,
broadcast 1974-1982, were engaging, suspenseful, well-acted, capturing our attention
and imagination of the scenes, characters, actions, murders, and motives. (You
can access these wonderful radio shows via www.CBSRMT.com.)
Nowadays, I always have a good crime story on my nightstand, but my days also start out with a daily dose of mystery at the gym, eyes glued to my tablet as I watch an episode of my latest (rarely current) tour of murder while sweating away on the elliptical machine. Just the suspense is often enough to keep my heart-rate elevated. My brain cells get a work-out, too, matching wits with fictional detectives which wield powers of observation and deduction to rival that of Holmes. Apart from obvious portrayals of Doyle’s iconic characters, such Elementary (starring Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock and Lucy Lui as Dr. Joan Watson), TV producers and screenwriters have filled the broadcast spectrum with a variety of Sherlockian adaptations. Each sleuth has a unique backstory, personality quirks, and entourages that round out the series bible.
I’ve just discovered Best Medicine, which follows the adventures of a Dr. Martin Best, a big city surgeon who signs on as the town doctor for a picturesque lobster-harvesting village in Port Wenn, Maine. Wait! You say. That’s not a crime show. Well, no it’s not, but every week Dr. Martin Best has a medical mystery to solve that invariably requires a good bit of sleuthing to save one or more of the town’s characters from all manner of diseases, illnesses, and strange conditions (one character claimed his blue skin stemmed from all the blueberries he ate). Doc Best’s keen observational skills, probing questions, and encyclopedic knowledge of medicine put him on par with Sherlock Holmes to close cases. The doc’s gruff bedside manner is often at odds with those of the residents of Port Wenn, a delightful cast of characters. A little romance is also in the air.
Do you have a favorite TV version of Sherlock Holmes? Tell us about the show!



I love Sherlock Holmes shows and movies and the variety of the portrayals.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many movies and TV series that draw on Sherlock's model. Every one is different, some even funny!
DeleteThese are delightful. I never would have thought of Best Medicine as a mystery from seeing the title, but I may have to check it out. My favorite Holmesian movie is Enola Holmes. Delightful
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have given Best Medicine a second look normally, but when I saw Annie Potts (Designing Women, Young Sheldon) as a co-star, I just had to check it out. Annie is a fabulous actress and always plays fun characters.
DeleteAnnie Potts! Oh, I agree. Did you see her in Texasville. Best thing about the movie.
DeleteSomething fun to explore! I do remember seeing a video version of Hound of the Baskervilles, and being fascinated with the swirling fog, but to tell the truth, I don't think I've seen any other Sherlock shows or movies. Time to broaden my horizons.
ReplyDeleteMonk is a great one to start with, especially if you want a long-running, award-winning show to watch while huffing and puffing away on the treadmill. I'm bummed that so many series have such short seasons. It keeps me always hunting for something to get me to the gym.
ReplyDeleteLisa, I'm still holding out for a proper anime Holmes drawn in traditional manga style.
ReplyDeleteYou're missing out on a lot, then! Hope your dream comes true!
Delete