Saturday, September 12, 2026

Killer Conferences: A Guest Blog by Cindy Martin

Anxious anticipation filled my veins as I stepped out of the Uber and into the conference hotel of my first Killer Nashville. It had been three years since I attended my very first writer’s conference, SleuthFest in Florida. (Since that time, I’ve had five short stories published in several anthologies, and I’ve written two drafts of my novel. I’m told the first dozen awful half-drafts don’t count.)

My eyes landed on a very recognizable woman dressed in black with long, silver hair. Heather Graham, an award-winning novelist of over two hundred books was sitting in the lobby. She’s also a fellow Floridian, and an author I have mingled with at Mystery Writer of America meetings in south Florida. I was relieved when she hugged me and introduced me to her paranormal friends. Let me clarify—her author pals who write ghost    stories. Clay Stafford, the sponsor and host of Killer Nashville, whom I only knew through promotional emails and the Killer Nashville website, joined us.

It was a thrill to meet up with Clay Stafford and Heather Graham 
my first afternoon at Killer Nashville.
 
That was a fabulous beginning. It only got better as the weekend flew by, filled with panels, keynote speeches, and happy hour. Every morning kicked off with the breakfast club, headed by my Sisters in Crime mentor, Martha Reed, and joined by my writer friends from Florida. Each day, our long table became increasingly crowded with new friends including former CNN editor and author, John DeDakis.

MWA Breakfast Club

Being an aspiring author without an edited and fine-tuned manuscript, there’s a level of uncertainty that goes through your head when you join a room full of accomplished writers who write one, two, three books a year. You ask yourself questions: Should I be here? Will authors accept me? Do I have what it takes to become a published author?

Now that I have survived Killer Nashville, I know the answer to all those questions is yes.

The takeaways from the conference are priceless. In a masterclass with J.J. Cagney and Carol Potenza, I learned to start my novel in the middle. From Noelle Ihli, one guest of honor, said, “Throw clay at the wall. Something will stick.” Reed Farell Coleman, another guest of honor, said to be courageous and heighten the stakes in writing. John DeDakis encouraged organization with a book journal of each draft, and covered structure, senses, and dialogue.

Noelle Ihli's words really stuck with me. "Throw clay at the wall. Something will stick!"

One of my favorite workshops was the last one, and not because I was exhausted, but because it was about writing psychological characters. Panelist Jennifer Sadera, my new favorite author and friend, went into detail about psychopaths and sociopaths. How fun is that when you’re writing a psychological thriller? I left there with new ways to develop tension and create paranoid and flawed characters. No doubt, I know a few in real life. Disclaimer: Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, will be purely coincidental.

My last workshop of the conference with J.T. Ellison (left) and Jennifer Sadera (right).

I’m not completely new to writing. For twenty years, I was a producer for the TV show America’s Most Wanted. I have written hundreds of scripts on true crime cases with a beginning, middle, and end—which often included a call-to-action for tips on fugitives, unknown suspects, and missing persons. I’m proud of my work. Our team of crime fighters caught more than a thousand fugitives, brought over fifty missing children home, and aided law enforcement in their mission to solve cases. Most importantly, we gave families hope. 

After retiring, I took my passion for crime writing to the next level and began my thriller novel. It’s more challenging than I imagined it would be. Nonfiction script writing and fiction novel writing are two different animals. There were days when I told my husband, a retired cop, that I quit. He reminded me of one of our favorite wine mottos: Corks are for quitters. So, I uncorked and got my butt back into the chair—with coffee. Armed with this newfound knowledge and inspiration from Killer Nashville, I’m tackling Draft Three.

Another challenge I took on is being the co-chair of SleuthFest, a writer’s conference to be held in Orlando, Florida in March 2027. Our chair, Daniel G. Miller, a bestselling mystery-thriller author and president of the Florida Chapter of Mystery Writers of America, and I are working together to make this conference memorable, helpful, and fun. I’m thrilled to have Guests of Honor Lisa Scottoline and Riley Sager, along with several notable guest faculty, agents, editors, and forensic experts participate in SleuthFest.

I hope you'll join me at Florida MWA's Sleuthfest March 18-21, 2027 to learn from our Guests of Honor Lisa Scottoline and Riley Sager and so many others . For more information, visit www.Sleuthfest.com.

Attending Killer Nashville provided me with renewed energy and ideas, not only in my writing but in planning the upcoming conference. For years, I’ve heard authors say it’s important to be part of a writing community. Now I know why. It reminds me I’m not creating my novel in a silo. There are authors everywhere who are generous with their time, their expertise, and want to help fellow writers to succeed. I’m grateful to the friends I have met along the way.

With anxious anticipation, I look forward to continuing my conference journey and transforming my writing. 

My question to you: What conference is the most memorable for you and why?

 


17 comments:

  1. Back in my early writing days, I attended Sleuthfest and found it welcoming to a newbie and the panels very informative. I'm sure you'll continue that tradition, Cindy. Best of everything to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. Your Guppy workshops have been a big help in developing plot an revising. I also enjoyed having you as my editor on the Guppies anthology last year. Thanks for all you do to help inspiring authors.

      Delete
  2. Mystery writers are wonderfully friendly and supportive. Conferences are a great place to meet people (especially people you've already "met" online) and mingle. My favorite is Malice Domestic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't attended Malice Domestic. I used to live in Maryland before moving to Florida. I've attended that to next year's writer's bucket list. Thanks for your feedback on short stories on the Guppies Emerald list serve on groups.io.

      Delete
  3. I love this article, Cindy! Thank you so much for including me. I’m honored. Killer Nashville was fantastic and I’m so glad I met you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed meeting so many new people, and turning Florida acquaintances into friends. It was a terrific conference.

      Delete
  4. What a fun rundown of Killer Nashville, Cindy. Thanks for the reminder that the best conference takeaway is the writing community itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Sarah. When I decided to write a novel a couple of years ago, I joined MWA and SInC. The best decisions I made. Writers are so generous with their time. Over the past couple of years, my home library has doubled because I buy everyone's books and read them. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy, welcome to the blog! Confession time. I have never attended a conference. Yet. Getting to one is on my bucket list. You’ve made me think Killer Nashville, might be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only attended two conferences. I love SleuthFest which was my first and that's why I'm co-chairing that one in Orlando in 2027. Killer Nashville was bigger conference. It was extremely helpful to attend panels, network, and just be with writers outside my silo. Hope to see you at a conference some time.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your experience--how fun! I'm looking forward to SleuthFest 2027!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to get to know you. I can't wait to hang out with you at SleuthFest. You are an inspiring author!

      Delete
  8. My first Florida Romance Writers conference was memorable to me because that's where I met my first agent and joined a local critique group. It helped my career immensely to be part of FRW and later FMWA. Everything about the business of writing I learned from my fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, You have been a leader in central Florida to authors. I have learned so much from your webinars. Thanks for sharing your start!

      Delete
  9. Great article. In person conferences are an integral part of the author experience i learn something from each panel, workshop, and networking opportunity like the breakfast club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. There's nothing in-person meetings and conferences. I've been inspired by in-person get togethers and lunches sponsored by members of MWA in Florida.

      Delete
  10. Thank you everyone for reading my blog and commenting. I appreciate the opportunity to be a guest blogger. Thanks to Lisa Malice.

    ReplyDelete