by Paula Gail Benson
For the past few years, I’ve had the privilege of working
with Michael Bracken to organize a virtual online conference dedicated to
writing short mystery fiction. We are excitedly anticipating our next
installment, Mystery in the Midlands Goes Short 2026, to take place on
Saturday, October 10, beginning at 11:15 am ET and concluding at 2:30 pm ET.
The lineup of speakers features some truly fascinating short story authors and
editors.
We hope you’ll be able to join us or watch the recording of
the program. It’s free of charge! Just register at this following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/H7AkECfcQB-9Ej98_UX2DQ
To give you a better chance to get to know some of our
presenters, I asked them to respond to a question or two or more. We had a
quick turn-around time for responses and not everyone had time to answer everything,
but what they did have to say gives true insight into the short mystery fiction
community.
1. Were you intimidated by writing short or naturally
drawn to it?
| Art Taylor |
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier: I used to find the form very
intimidating, actually! There's so much more pressure on the short story author
to make sure a piece is tight, connected, and meaningful. Ever since I was a
teenager, I'd "write long", meaning that I always had a novel-length
work on my mind. Once I had kids, though, I didn't have the time to write
anything long anymore, and I found that writing short stories was actually a
lot more fun than I thought it would be BECAUSE of the challenge of making them
tight, connected, and meaningful.
Carla Damron: I was intimidated! A short story is a
very small canvas. The writing must be much leaner than in novels.
![]() |
| Joseph S. Walker |
Katy Munger: I was naturally drawn to it for two
reasons. One is my ADHD, which includes a lack of patience for delayed
gratification. 😊 The other is that I outline my novels very
extensively, with each scene getting a thorough synopsis before I dive in and
write. I think this love of framing a pivotal event in very few words carried
over into short stories, especially when I started reading at Noir at the Bar.
I found that people responded much better to a fully fleshed out story with a
plot structure compared to reading a section from a longer work.
Michael Bracken: I started writing professionally
when I was a teenager, and I was too young to be intimidated by anything. So, I
wrote everything, trying to find my place in the literary ecosystem. I wrote
every length from one-sentence fillers to full-length novels. Ultimately,
though, I settled into short stories, and have found my greatest writing
success with them, with more than 1,300 sales across multiple genres. The past
dozen years or so, I have written more crime fiction than anything else and
now, when I have a story idea, it almost always fits into one of the crime
fiction subgenres.
2. Do you have a favorite short crime fiction author? Have
you met that person and what was it like?
![]() |
| Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier |
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier: They say not to meet your
heroes, but I've met a few of them, both online and in person, and they're all
lovely.
Joseph S. Walker:I can't say I have a single
favorite; there are just too many writers who excel at the form, including a
lot working now. In terms of inspiration, though, I don't see how anyone can
touch Edward D. Hoch. There's a reason the Short Mystery Fiction Society's lifetime
achievement award is named in his honor. Nobody will ever do anything to match
his run of having a story in every single issue of Ellery Queen for
more than thirty-four years. What makes it all the more astonishing is that all
of his stories are smart, entertaining, quality pieces of work. He set the bar
we should all be aiming for. It's one of my great regrets that my own writing
career started a few years too late to meet him.
Katy Munger: As an editor, I feel like it would be
inappropriate for me to name a favorite current author, although there are
definitely a handful who make my day when they send a new story in for me to
consider. All I can tell you is that I grew up reading a steady diet of
Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers, and Shirley Jackson. It shows. I love dark
stories, but I prefer dark stories about human nature rather than supernatural
events or creatures.
3. From whose POV do you write: protagonist, villain, or
observer?
Art Taylor: Ooh! All of the above at different times.
That’s part of the beauty of the short story—the ability to experiment, to try
different things, and to break free of any sense of brand or limitation.
“Observer” strikes me in some ways as the most interesting and most underused
or under-appreciated: the effect of a crime on a witness or a bystander, their
decisions on how to handle what they’ve seen…. that’s ripe for plot development
and fertile emotional territory too.
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier: I mostly write mysteries from the sleuth's point of view, but when I write a straight-up crime story, it's usually from the villain's point of view. I usually write in first-person or close third, so I've never really experimented with writing from an observer's POV. I like to get as close as I can to the main character's thoughts.
![]() |
| Katy Munger |
Katy Munger: I tend to write from the view of the
protagonist because it's such a great way to convey who that character is and
their past. When a reader really gets to know and appreciate (not necessarily
like) a protagonist, I find they are more invested in the story and stick with
the whole series.
4. Fill in the blank: "If I had to do without
___________, I would find it incredibly difficult to write short stories."
Art Taylor: Thesaurus. Finding just the right
word is key to economy and efficiency in your prose.
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier: "the mystery-writing
community and my support network". The mystery writing community is
incredibly generous, helpful, and supportive, and I've made lots of writer
friends and gained many wonderful opportunities because of it. My support
network at home, like my husband and helpful kids, gives me time to write and
grace when I need to focus on a project.
Katy Munger: My computer. Multiple revisions are your
friend! With a short story, it is all about cutting, then cutting, then cutting
some more. Sometimes I play a trick on myself: when I have to take those final
passes at cutting yet more of my words, I save the longer version and tell
myself I will publish a collection one day of the longer versions. I haven't
done that yet, of course, but I may one day.
5. Is writing short mystery fiction a diversion or a
career?
Art Taylor: Are there alternatives to “diversion” and
“career”? Affliction, albatross, burden, curse…? (See: I’m using my thesaurus
right now…)
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier: I consider it part of my
identity, at this point. It's something I'm incredibly proud of doing. I intend
to continue to give it my best and see where it takes me.
![]() |
| Carla Damron |
Joseph S. Walker: In financial terms, sadly, it's a
diversion. In today's marketplace, it's hard to see how anyone could make a
reasonable living from short mystery fiction. It's all a matter of how you look
at things, though. I do other things for money, but as far as I'm concerned, my
vocation is as a writer, and this is the kind of writing I love to do. It may
not pay the bills, but it's the work I'm proudest of, the work I hope I'll be
remembered for.
Katy Munger: I believe it is a very necessary tool to
sustain a career in mystery fiction. Writers these days, who have grown up
watching visual mediums, write using way too much description and way too many
adjectives. A short story forces you to focus on what is critical and essential
in a story. It helps you learn to write without including excess information
and unnecessary description. Even if you never intend to publish short stories,
if you are a crime fiction writer, you should still be writing them -- if only
for the exercise of using the written medium to its fullest advantage (which is
leaving some things up to the reader, so they can fill in the blanks left in
your story with their own experience and imagination).
| Michael Bracken |
To hear more about the craft and business of writing
short mystery fiction, join us on Saturday, October 10, 11:15 am ET/10:15 am CT/9:15
am MT/8: 15 am PT for
Mystery in the Midlands Goes Short 2026!
PRESENTED BY: the Southeast Chapter of the Mystery
Writers of America, the Palmetto Chapter of Sisters in Crime, and Michael
Bracken
COST: FREE just register at the link below
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/H7AkECfcQB-9Ej98_UX2DQ
Yes, if you can’t attend in person, the program will be
recorded.
Program Schedule
11:15 am Welcome—Michael Bracken and Paula Gail Benson
11:30 am -12:25 pm Some Loose Thoughts on Tight
Structures—Joseph S. Walker
12:30 - 1:25 pm Short Stories as Building Blocks
Ashley-Ruth M. Bernier; Carla Damron; Art
Taylor; and moderator, Paula Gail Benson
1:30 - 2:25 pm Editors Reveal All
Alex Mattingly; Katy Munger; Roger Nokes;
and moderator, Michael Bracken
2:25 - 2:30 pm Final Questions and Comments




No comments:
Post a Comment