Saturday, August 15, 2026

Research Snags When Creating Settings by Judy L. Murray

Here I am. Drowning in research. Let me explain why I could use your help.

As many of you know, mystery series is centered around a busy little town at the very top of the Chesapeake Bay. Over the span of my first four books, I decided that Helen, my heroine, is more believable and interesting when she gets caught up in crime solving that introduces what I consider ‘a setting within a setting’. Helen may get entangled in sleuthing because of her friendships and career life as a real estate agent but the people she helps and the villains she tracks down have different expertise from her own. Unfortunately, as a writer, these differences can make storyline accuracies a challenge.

In Murder in the Master, Helen’s family, friends, and work life are introduced. The town of Port Anne, with its tiny shops and restaurants and generations of businesses, all reflect a blend of locals and newcomers that don’t always see eye to eye. Helen discovers a builder in the master bedroom of a new McMansion. Since I know the real estate business like the back of my hand, I could concentrate on plot, dialogue, and character building.

In Killer in the Kitchen, a celebrity chef and client leads Helen into the world of an online home shopping network like QVC. I had to learn about the back-office world of television production, products, and guests. To entertain readers, I learned terms and built a setting that reflects real life. Did I tie it all into real estate? Yes.

In Peril in the Pool House Helen is thrown into solving a politician’s family secrets of missing pilot boat captains and fraudulent shipping up and down the bay. I researched abandoned lighthouses, float planes versus seaplanes and environmental law affecting the Chesapeake. I enjoyed it.

Villain in the Vineyard immersed Helen in dealings with wine connoisseurs and questionable vineyard owners. When Detective Joe McAlister asks Helen what she knows about wine she says, “I’m never quite sure what to do at a wine-tasting. Do you?” “Taste wine?” Joe retorts. I still don’t know how to discern wines, casks, or soil but I learned enough to generate dialogue that wouldn’t be criticized later by a wine expert.

Back to my current misery. My fifth book is centered around the world of thoroughbred horse racing, principally because Fair Hill International Training Center is minutes from my home and can be another setting within Helen’s world. Thoroughbreds who win races at Saratoga and the Kentucky Derby train here in unsurpassed facilities. But I’m stumbling around trying to get a footing within this horsing community and it hasn’t been easy.

Dear Research Experts, what ideas do you have to break into a close-knit, private, and competitive world? I’m inclined to keep plotting based on potential crimes in this world and stop worrying about editing for accuracy at this point. Thoughts?

From a writer who doesn’t know the difference between a trot and a canter, Judy

9 comments:

  1. I love when writers use real places. Best wishes with your horse research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a tough one. A lot depends on how deep you want to go into the actual world of horse racing and your plot. Including information about problems trainers face in preparing horses for races is entirely different to investing drugs used to dope horses to interfere with races. You might want to start by contacting writers known for their books involving horse racing like Felix Francis. Writers are famous for helping other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Sasscer Hill and am quite sure you could have some interesting conversations with her. She has personal background and has written a number mysteries set in exactly the community you plan to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy getting immersed in a new setting when I'm reading a book. That said, I have some appreciation for how much research is involved. Dick Francis, who, as a former jockey, wrote about racing, depended upon his wife to do research. His books are basically the result of a full-time writer and a full-time researcher. And they do ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stick to what I know, made easier by the broad range of jobs I've held, short-order cook and motel maid to interior design sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Sasscer Hill knows all about horses from raising them to riding them. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer questions you have. I recently included learning how to ride a horse in one of my books for kids. I watched several videos of people being taught to ride. There's a wealth of information available to us in various formats. Good thing since we writers are always doing research for our books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you've gotten the resources you need, Judy! I love your books and that you use a different "theme" in each one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need to have accuracy in your subject in order to have the reader believe the story and the background of the people who are supposed to be the experts in it.
    If you have misinformation the reader won’t trust you, I know I wouldn’t if I saw major errors. If they were important enough to the plot and characters, I probably wouldn’t finish the book and not read future ones.That has actually happened
    If it is too difficult to do it yourself, get someone else to do the research for you. Don’t just make up something that might not be right or believed by those who know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I’m looking forward to this book, Judy. I grew up talking horses and going to the track with my Dad. He loved ‘betting the ponies’, but for the nuts and bolts….alas, I can ride, but I could not train a puppy! Our own Annette Dashofy is a great resource. Her book Death by Equine is practically a master class!

    ReplyDelete