by Maureen Milliken
The newspaper article wasn’t anything exciting. Someone in New Hampshire was running out of time to claim their $100,000 lottery win. I read the story half-hoping that I'd bought a Powerball ticket in Franklin, New Hampshire, last September and somehow forgot about it and the winner was me. Even though I haven’t bought a Powerball ticket in a while and can’t remember the last time I was in Franklin, New Hampshire. I’d moved on to wondering if the person was just playing some kind of sick game, waiting for the last minute to cash in, half-admiring their steely control. Or maybe they bought it and just forgot, a sadder story, but more likely.
Then it happened. If
you write mysteries, you may be familiar with the feeling. That out-of-nowhere
blast of inspiration. The excitement of seeing a story behind a few words, even
if you don’t know what the story is yet.
No, it wasn’t the
topic of the story itself, but this paragraph halfway through the story: “This
wouldn’t be the largest unclaimed prize in New Hampshire lotter history. In
1987, a Tri-State Megabucks player never stepped forward to claim their $2
million jackpot…”
We’re often asked
where we get our ideas. Depending on my energy level, my answer is
“everywhere,” or it’s a more elaborate explanation of how ideas can come from
anything – a newspaper article, a conversation overheard in the grocery store,
a nugget excavated from a long otherwise boring story a friend is telling you.
I can never quite
explain, though, the reality of it. That something that may seem mundane, or
boring, sparks something deep in my brain and explodes. That feeling the second
I read or hear something that it’s the start of something. There’s a story there.
It’s big. It’s good. It’s exciting.
With the lottery
story, I’m not sure what it is yet – I haven’t thought much about it and don’t want
to get derailed from the book I’m writing now. That’s okay. That gives it time
to form and grow and get tattoos and baggage.
I took a screen shot
(I read my newspapers on my iPad) and marked it up with “mystery plot!!!!” in
red. It’ll be there when I need it.
That’s not how all
ideas happen, of course. There are different levels of ideas. There are the big
shining book-writing-motivating ones, like the uncashed lottery ticket. Those
don’t happen all the time, probably a good thing since I can only take so much
excitement.
There are also the smaller
ones that can work for a scene or character development.
The same day I read
about the uncashed lotter ticket, I read in one of my local papers (yes, I do
read a lot of newspapers, a blog post for another day), about a neighbor feud
in which one drove a log skidder into the side of the other’s house, which caused
about half of it to collapse. Sure, that’s something someone in one of my books
could do.
Boom. Another screen
shot.
One day a few months
ago I was at the transfer station (the dump, for those of you from away) and a
sheriff’s deputy pulled up behind a woman who was sorting her recycling. He
tried to serve her some papers, which she ignored, so he put them in the front
seat of her pickup truck. He was being kind of a jerk, taunting and harassing
her as she sorted her recycling into the bins and ignored him. It was like a
whole scene from a book, with characters I hadn’t written yet. I played it over
in my head until I got home and wrote it down.
It’s in the same
folder on my computer with some other scenes like that, of characters who I
haven’t written yet.
The inspiration for
the book I’m working on now was sparked by the story of a guy who was making a
movie in Maine back in the 1970s. It was his lifelong dream, but wasn’t going
very well. Then someone killed him. It’s not so much the ready-made plot that
struck me as the poignancy. The guy had quit his job, moved his family halfway
across the country and put his marriage at risk to live a dream. Even though it
wasn’t working out, he didn’t seem to know that yet. Then some jerk killed him
for a really crappy reason.
It actually took me a
long time to work a plot out, but that wasn’t the point of the inspiration. It
was the feeling of it that struck me.
The thing is, I know
there are some days I would’ve read that paragraph about the uncashed lottery
ticket and thought, “Gee, that’s too bad,” and moved on.
There are days when I
would’ve read about the splitter being run into the house and said, “That’s
Maine for you,” and turned the page.
Maybe on a different
day I would’ve watched the deputy harassing the woman at the transfer station
and felt annoyance and nothing else.
The murdered
movie-maker? Maybe in a different mood, I would’ve thought it was a great topic
for the podcast my sister and I do and that’s as far as it would’ve gone.
When someone asks me
where I get my ideas, sometimes I toy with the idea of explaining all of this. How
sometimes there’s a convergence of thought and feeling that comes together in
my brain and heart and blows something up into an idea, big or small. Other
times, though, ideas pass by without me catching them.
I never do try to
explain it, though. I know from hard experience that the stuff going on in my
head doesn’t translate well.
Instead I just say,
“They’re everywhere. If I’m lucky, I catch a few.”
Maureen Milliken is
the award-winning author of the Bernadette “Bernie” O’Dea mystery series. The
fourth book in the series, “Dying for News,” won the 2025 Maine Literary Award
for Crime Fiction. The fifth book in the series, “News From Away,” is due out
later this year. She has also been co-host since 2016 of the Crime & Stuff
podcast with her sister, Maine artist Rebecca Milliken. She lives in Central
Maine.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment