Monday, July 20, 2026

Slowing Down Has Its Benefits

Slowing Down Has Its Benefits by Debra H. Goldstein

Recently, I had surgery. It ended up neither as extensive as expected nor as painful as predicted (Tylenol and a few muscle relaxers took care of everything for the first few days). Recovery has gone very well as I’ve worked to be a model patient – walking, drinking water, being kind to myself, and pacing my return to my regular Energizer Bunny status. Still, there are restrictions, including no lifting over ten pounds or flying for eight weeks. 

Being forced to slow down has had some benefits. I’ve read a book from my TBR pile each day or two days since I stopped taking the muscle relaxers, become a pro at doing online jigsaw puzzles up to 300 pieces in an amazingly quick amount of time, gotten ahead on some of my behind-the-scenes-blog obligations, printed out lots of short story calls, caught up on my backlog of magazines, and made notes on the two longer pieces I’m working on. I’ve also enjoyed leisurely visits from friends (who, based upon the cookies and other treats they have brought, know how much I enjoy chocolate) and, of course, the grandkids (I did have to take a nap after the first one of those). 

What I haven’t done is much actual writing. It isn’t a matter of writer’s block or post-surgery brain fog, but more of the need to slowly think things through respecting the pieces I’m working on. It has been exciting to consider different approaches to what I’m writing. The result is that what I have produced has been more thoughtful and I think better written. 

For example, I had a short story, “Musicians of Bremen,” published in early June in the Wish Upon a Crime anthology edited by Michael Bracken and Stacy Woodson. Each story in the book is inspired by a fairy tale. In my case, I took the characteristics of the four animal characters from the original story and transferred them into the four main human characters of my tale, which incorporates the Holocaust, October 7th, and the Violins of Hope project. After my surgery, Art Taylor allowed me to explain my process for coming up with the story in his wonderful “The First Two Pages” blog ( https://arttaylorwriter.com/2026/06/23/the-first-two-pages-musicians-of-bremen-by-debra-h-goldstein/  ) In writing my piece, I realized that slowing down the story and the action before reaching a big bang instead of beginning with the bang is what makes this story all the more powerful. (true confession: I think it is one of my best stories).

It’s funny, but in writing the blog for Art, I understood that the slower process of my recovery is much like the analysis necessary to make my work better. Consequently, although I’m not writing as much per day, I’m much more satisfied with the words I’m producing.

Have you ever found that slowing down helps you produce a better product whether it’s writing or something else in your life? 


9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're on the mend. Thanks for the great reminder. This world doesn't make it easy to slow down sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful your recovery is proceeding well. The old expression measure twice, cut once is a concrete example of how the sages recommend slowing down. I rarely get good ideas when I'm busy making things happen; it's in the slower times I become more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to read about your surgery, but glad that you are on the mend. Sometimes it takes something major to get us to slow down. This time may result in lots of ideas coming to you for stories—perhaps some set in hospitals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my husband developed dementia and I was his caretaker, I had to slow down. I also unfortunately had to shelf much of my writing since I couldn't concentrate on it, since he needed so much care. I'm trying to get back into my writing more intensely, but my body is telling me that I must take aging into account. Most elderly women who break a bone for "no reason" break their hips. I broke my kneecap. Since that's a lot less debilitating, I guess I should be grateful that's all it was. Recovering well but slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it's age-related that I'm taking things slower these days. It works well with my writing because I find myself plotting as my WIP moves along. New ideas come to me in the shower, before falling asleep, and walking. I think my books are richer for this more recent development.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healing thoughts to you! I routinely take off the month of December to recalibrate and participate in family events. No regrets, no apologies, I need it and it feels right.

    Your grandkids will get you moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you that you've slowed down to smell the roses. I've been doing that this summer. It does help me think a lot more about where the story in my head will go. And it helps my creativity because I've taken my time to do other things: read, binge television series, do jigsaw puzzles, and spend time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad your recovery is going well, Debra. Continue taking care of yourself, physically and mentally!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you have to be forced into doing something you should have been doing right along, taking care of you.
    You are probably quick to offer help to someone else but don’t stop to look in the mirror and see that you need to make yourself a priority.
    Your medical situation made it necessary to do that and now you have an opportunity to reevaluate your way of life and spend more time just enjoying your new perspective.

    ReplyDelete