![]() |
| DVD Cover |
by Paula Gail Benson
I first
heard about The Sheep Detectives when I saw a promotion by Hugh Jackman
saying he had agreed to appear in the project. I was intrigued by the subject:
a shepherd is killed and his flock of sheep decide they must find the murderer.
Most people at this point would question what type of movie this was: (1) animated,
(2) for children, or, (3) as one of my friends asked when I described it, “is
this like George Orwell’s Animal Farm”?
To take
those questions in order: (1) yes, there is animation; (2) no, it’s not written
for children, although adults might decide they could share it with their
children; and (3) no, it’s not another Animal Farm, although there are
some satiric elements in the story.
Here’s a
brief summary: George, the shepherd, takes good care of his flock, including
reading to them from classic murder mysteries at the end of the day. While
George assumes the sheep cannot understand, they actually do. In particular,
Lilly, the smartest sheep, has become adept at solving the mysteries before
they hear the end. When Lilly discovers George lying still in the meadow just
outside his trailer home, she finally accepts the fact that he is dead and that
the local law enforcement officer will need help to solve the crime. With the
assistance of other members of the flock, Lilly investigates and maneuvers the
clues so the officer will discover them. Fortunately, the officer comes to
appreciate and rely upon their detective skills and finds the true killer.
The Sheep Detectives comes from Amazon studios and is available through Amazon Prime. Along with Hugh Jackman as the shepherd George, the cast includes Emma Thompson as the lawyer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the voice of Lily, Bryan Cranston as the voice of a reclusive sheep Sebastian, Patrick Stewart as the voice of an aristocratic and unyielding elder sheep Sir Ritchfield, and Brett Goldstein as the voice of twin rams, Reggie and Ronnie, who enjoy bashing things.
I must
admit I had to watch the film a couple of times just to be able to identify
everyone. There are two casts, sheep and human, each with numerous characters.
Multiple
viewings helped me to appreciate the witty lines and funny bits. For instance,
when the sheep first must cross the road to leave their pasture, they are
terrified by it. As they cower on one side, a chicken walks confidently over
the asphalt.
The more I
watched the film, the more I wondered about its basis. Checking on Amazon, I
learned the source material was a German author’s book, Three Bags Full
by Leonie Swann. It had been translated into English and had a sequel, Big
Bad Wool. Swann grew up in Munich and has degrees from Munich University.
She also has written a series of mysteries about Agnes Sharp, a senior
detective.
As I looked through Amazon, I realized an industry had developed to promote The Sheep Detectives. You can buy guides to explain the book and movie symbolism, stuffed animals, tee shirts, tumblers, cups, totes, and pins. An incredible variety.
It made me wonder, could this type of commercial enterprise have developed around George Orwell’s Animal Farm? I ran a search on Amazon. It’s out there. Posters, tee shirts, vintage collectors’ editions.
![]() |
| Tin Decor as sold on Amazon |







Wow! What a marketing machine. I enjoyed the movie. I was definitely cheering for the sheep.
ReplyDelete