Sunday, July 28, 2019

Who’s a Hybrid?

by Kaye George

I’m new here, and I’d like to give a sort of intro, in case readers of Writers Who Kill don’t know me.

So, who’s a hybrid? Me, that’s who. 





Yes, I’m a hybrid genetically, claiming about ten different nationalities in my ancestral line. But I’m also one as a writer. What IS a hybrid? One definition is a writer who publishes through a traditional press and also self-publishes. I’ll go one better.




Big, little, and none, are the three I define. I have a series out with a biggie, Penguin Random House (which would be so much more fun if it were called Random Penguin).   
My three Fat Cat mysteries, written as Janet Cantrell, were published there and did very well. How could they not? They were on bookshelves across the country and even Walmart picked up the first one. That’s the BIG. Someday I’d like to get another series with them. Until then…

LITTLE: small presses. I’ve been with Untreed Reads for the two novels in my People of the Wind Neanderthal mystery series, as well as some short stories, as well as inclusion in some of their anthologies. They are terrific to work with and I couldn’t ask for a better team.

I’ve been with two other small presses that aren’t around any more. That’s the hazard of small presses. But, to be honest, Berkley Prime Crime, the “Random Penguin” imprint, doesn’t exist any more either.

I need to mention a couple of others, too. One I’m pleased with is Wildside Press. I don’t have any novels with them, but they’ve been terrific about publishing short story anthologies I’ve had a hand in, also the one I put together myself in honor of the total eclipse that happened in my very own yard. Recently, they put out a “thrillogy” of three related Imogene Duckworthy stories that had been published in various places. Their Black Cat Mystery Magazine has published me, too.

The second one is Darkhouse Books, which has included me in one anthology and will do so again in October. I have material published at a few more, also.

NONE: that’s me. One series that was with a small press is my Imogene Duckworthy humorous Texas line. I’ll admit it was fun taking over, redoing covers and advertising that the first one, Choke, had been nominated for an Agatha Award. That was something the publisher hadn’t felt was important—one reason we parted ways! I’ve also self-published a collection of short stories and some individual stories.

I’m looking for a new publisher for the other series that was with a small press, my Cressa Carraway Musical Mysteries. That is, my agent it looking. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be self-publishing another series. There are more things in the pipeline that I’m sure I’ll tell you about when they emerge.


It’s always something!

photos from morguefile.com by ImBoo Too, quicksandala, anthot4, Fidler Jan


6 comments:

  1. Kaye, you're an inspiration. I'm only with a small press so far but have plans to branch out (or try to) over the next few years. "Hybrid" really seems to be the way to go right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kaye. You are inspiring to folks like me who also deals with small publishers and publishing my own books once a publisher closes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Kaye - good to have you here. You are an inspiration, and a shot of adrenaline! Can't wait to learn more about the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're blogging with us! Your publishing history is a perfect example of what authors need to do--keep working at it until you find success, and even then, be willing to make switches as things change.

    I agree that Wildside, which publishes my Jesse Damon crime novel series, is a great small publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the props, all of you! I'm just stumbling through as best I can, like most other writers, I think!

    ReplyDelete