Thursday, November 22, 2012

THANKSGIVING, MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY




                                                                                

“They begane now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fitte up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health & strength, and had all things in good plenty; for as some were thus imployed in affairs abroad, others were excersised in fishing, about codd & bass, & other fish, of which they tooke good store, of which every family had their portion.”   From the journal of William Bradford

The first Thanksgiving was in October less than a year after the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth. Half of the original 102 passengers died that first winter from cold, hunger and sickness. They were ill prepared for this climate since they’d been heading for Virginia when they went off course and landed in Massachusetts.  That first Thanksgiving, they were not only thankful for those who had lived, but a bountiful harvest and many barrels of furs ready to be shipped to England. They were especially thankful for the Native Americans like Samoset, Squanto and Chief Massasoit, who helped them in so many ways. So that first Thanksgiving they invited their Indian friends.

Their Thanksgiving feast included lobster pies, cooked eels, other kinds of fish, roasted ducks and turkeys as well as berries, nuts, and I’m sure lots of different corn dishes thanks to the Indians. Chief Massasoit arrived with ninety men bringing five large deer to cook over the open fires. The feast lasted three days with games, laughter, dancing and singing.

Today Thanksgiving in the USA is not only later in the year, but has changed in other ways, too. No longer is it a three day event. (I don’t consider the shopping frenzy of Black Friday part of Thanksgiving.) Nor do we have cooked eels or fish, and it doesn’t take place outside cooking over open fires.  
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it hasn’t been commercialized unless you consider Black Friday is now starting Thanksgiving evening in many stores. It’s a day to spend with family or friends with no gift giving. For quite a few years now, I’ve spent Thanksgiving at my sister, Elaine’s home. This gives my kids the freedom to go to their in-laws without worrying about poor old Ma being alone. My youngest waits to come home from California for Christmas when it’s my turn to prepare a big meal for everyone. All three of my children call me Thanksgiving morning to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving and to talk for a while. My Thanksgiving afternoon and evening is spent with siblings and nieces and nephews. There’s quite a large group of us. My sister loves to cook and prepares the turkey and what traditionally goes with it, and the rest of us bring side dishes or desserts. For some years, my contribution has been a tray of cut up veggies and dip. How easy can that be!?!? Even without our contributions, what Elaine prepares alone, with the help of any daughters who made it home, would be enough to satisfy anyone’s taste and more than enough for seconds. Every year I look forward to the traditional food; the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, and  cranberry sauce. In addition to the pumpkin pie, one of my sisters makes, and my youngest brother, Phil, the marathon runner, will bring several fruit pies he’s made. He is an awesome cook.

 
                                                                         
 
Just as enjoyable as the food, and probably even more so is the camaraderie, laughter and the wild conversations. It’s very hard to get a word in with my very articulate and vocal family. After dinner dishes are cleared off, we sit around in a stupor for a while until a rollicking game of cards, Pounce, starts in the kitchen. My eyes can no longer follow the flying cards so I relax in the living room with a few others who pass on the cards.  I leave for home after we all eat again; turkey sandwiches, pie or another dessert someone brought.

This Thanksgiving I have much to be thankful for; my family and friends, my health, my home, and my critters. Actually, I could fill pages and pages of things I’m thankful for. I’m a truly lucky person.

How about you? What are you thankful for? How do you spend Thanksgiving? What is your favorite food at Thanksgiving?

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm a cranberry nut, Gloria. I love cranberry sauce. The food I look forward to eating most comes in a can, doesn't need preparation or cooking--and probably has more calories per bite than anything else even the starches because it has so much sugar. But I love the flavor. I don't tell anyone because those who cook would kill me.

    I have so much to be thankful for this year, my son's marriage and his wonderful wife, my daughter's college graduation, my husband's favorable "final" back operation and getting three shorts published this year. A lot happened in 2012 that I didn't anticipate and I'm still processing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cranberry sauce, too, E.B. -from a can or one made with other things added like nuts and pineapple.

    You have had a very good year, haven't you. May your good luck continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's broccoli in cheese sauce, baked in the oven, tied with the actual Turkey as my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, Gloria. I'm still searching for that recipe!

    I am thankful for my job and my health, my partner's continued good health despite fighting cancer for 11 years, and family members who understand that it takes a lot of yourself to keep things going sometimes.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a prosperous year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a spicy tomato juice that I had every year with my parents as I grew up. I'm looking forward to celebrating with good friends today. I'm grateful for so many blessings this year, including being asked to participate in this blog. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving Gloria and thank you for sharing some wonderful Thanksgiving family photos.

    Without a doubt, my favorite food item of the day is pumpkin pie. OK, I already had a Thanksgiving Eve slice. Life's too short, as the saying goes so I make it a point not to be bound by unimportant rules.

    I'm grateful for a wonderful family both here and far. I'm grateful for the wealth of family love and the simple wealth of being able to put food on the table, have warmth in the house, and the ability to enjoy this day and every day I have on earth.

    eegad -- I can't seem to prove I'm not a computer. I've tried to identify the ##!?!!##** letters in four words and I'm still here. Maybe the fifth random set of letters I'll figure out.

    I'm not thankful for "capcha".

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Cheesy potatoes" are my favorite once a year Thanksgiving treat. The dish is a cholesterol bomb but tastes so good.

    I'm grateful for so many things--family, friends, other writers and , of course, books.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Gloria! My mom gave me a solid milk chocolate turkey for Thanksgiving. I love turkey, but I especially love chocolate shaped like turkey! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely traditions here! I'm in Maine with my inlaws. My FIRST Thanksgiving without rice (or turkey), but I survived. Happy T-day to all of you book lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clair, that brocolli in cheese sauce sounds delicious. I love brocolli. I'm quite sure your love and care have helped a lot in your partner's continued good health.

    Paula, we're all thankful you're with us, too.

    Annoymous, I'm grateful that you beat the capcha. :-) I love pumpkin pie, too. My sister sent a slice home with me to eat tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kara, my daughter, Susan, always brings cheesy potatoes for my Christmas dinner. Yummy!

    I can't imagine a life without books.

    Carla K. - a chocolate turkey! Wow! As a chocoholic, I would love that.

    Carla D. - No rice or turkey? What did you have for Thanksgiving. My nieces had Thai food, I think. I love Maine. It's a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete