Saturday, May 27, 2023

Writing for Fun and Profit by Kait Carson

I hear you laughing, writers. Fun and Profit! Seriously? That’s the definition of the intersection of the divine and absurd. Or is it? They’re not mutually exclusive.

 

When people ask me why I write, I tell them it gives me pleasure. There is something so satisfying about looking at a page of raw words and shaping them into something that resonates. I never understood Dorothy Parker’s “I hate writing, I love having written” quote. Had she said, “I hate the business of writing, I love writing,” she’d be singing my song. Times were different back then. Writers didn’t carry the entire can for their work. They wrote. Publishers and agents facilitated the business of getting the books to market and into the hands of readers. That is not true of this brave, new, world of writing.

 

In this, the second, third, I’ve lost count, act of my life, I decided to follow my bliss and be a full-time writer. Writing is fun, wouldn’t do it otherwise, but it’s also a business. It’s essential to pay attention to details, including financial details. As an independently published writer, that includes not only the universal costs of computer, printer, and paper, but software, editing, and advertising. Ideally, costs are covered by sales. As any start-up business owner will tell you, that takes time.

 

I am not a “wide” writer, one with books available on multiple platforms. I made that choice for several reasons. When my books were wide, most of my sales came from Amazon. I needed to be exclusive to Amazon to take advantage of their Kindle Unlimited (KU) program. Kindle Unlimited is a subscription service for readers. Readers pay a fee to receive access to the books of participating authors. Authors receive payment for pages read. Because my books are currently available only in the Kindle format and not in paperback or hardback, it’s a win/win.

 

This brings up the problem of how to get my books to the attention of readers. Social media plays a role, as does my newsletter (you can sign up here), but those results are hard to quantify. There are a number of pay-to-play marketing services who will feature writers’ books on their newsletters. Some of the more popular ones are BookBub (you have to apply and be accepted), Fussy Librarian, Book Gorilla, and BargainBooksy. Those are often effective when running discounts or for new launches. They are also most effective if you have a backlist as readers will often buy a discounted book, read it, and return for more from the same author.

 

Another option, and one I am learning, is paid ads. Facebook and Amazon both offer them. Of the two options, Amazon has made the most financial sense. Facebook allows the ad buyer to target certain audiences for a fee the author sets and agrees to pay. The fee is not tied to book sales and sales are difficult to track. My solution is to assign a Bitly shortcut. Bitly allows me to track the number of clicks to that particular link and offers some insight into origin. I have not found Facebook ads to be particularly effective and attribute this to the inability to refine targeting. It’s also my opinion that most Facebook users ignore ads.

 

Amazon ads have proven to be far more effective, although there is a learning curve, and I’m still on it. Amazon’s sponsored ads allow me to target book buyers, and drill down by categories, keywords, genre, and targeted ad copy. Unlike Facebook ads, there is no fee to place the ad. The advertiser pays based on clicks and the dashboard tracks impressions (people who looked at your ad, but didn’t click – no idea how they do that), sales, and KU pages read. The advertiser also sets a bid and a daily spend cap. Scary at first, but the advertiser is always in control.

 

Figuring out what works and what doesn’t is easy. For example, one of my categories is sea adventure. I receive lots of impressions, but no clicks or sales. That tells me that my scuba diving mystery books are not what sea adventure readers are looking for. Because of the high exposure, I’ve continued to run the ad, but I won’t run it again because it’s not producing. Another of my selected categories is scuba diving. It receives few impressions, but all of the impressions have resulted in a click, and of those about half of the clickers buy or read the book on KU. That’s a category I’ll keep.

 

A word of caution. The Amazon marketing dashboard is not easy to figure out or navigate. I joined Bryan Cohen’s quarterly Amazon marketing webinar to figure it out. It’s free as it’s an introduction to his paid classes and he offers step-by-step instructions that are invaluable. There are a number of other free and paid classes available, Reedsy, Mark Dawson, and Nick Stephenson all come to mind. If one comes along, and you’re considering placing Amazon ads, try it.

 

Overall, I’m learning that writing isn’t the only fun part of authorship. Putting together the puzzle of profit runs a close second.

 

Writers, what platforms do you use for advertising? Readers, what encourages you to click on an ad?


15 comments:

  1. Kait -- as you know we are in similar situations (although I do have paperbacks available and wonder why you don't as well). I'm glad you are enjoying the marketing aspects because I struggle with those and do not enjoy that aspect of the writing business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with both of you, Kait and Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread learning how to do all of this. Thanks, Kait, for your summary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One key to marketing is to figure out how not to dread every inch of it. Sounds like you have a viable way that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to see how you've distinguished the value for you of Facebook vs. Amazon ads. Have you tried the BookBub ads that you can buy like an Amazon ad (not the big bookbub ads)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kait,
    Thanks for this informative post about a subject we all have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kait,

    As a new author I am struggling about where to put my promo money. You make a good case of Amazon ads. I may try them. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jim - no paperbacks for the first two, yet. I plan to bring them all out with the third book sometime this summer. The first two are re-releases so I thought I would test the waters. Marketing is fun - you're gonna do it, so you might as well enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Margaret - reach out! I'm happy to share what I know. It will become second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Marilyn - ain't it the truth! You are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Dawna - thank you for commenting! Amazon definitely worked better for me, and the expenditure is not too great - it sounds way scarier than it turns out to be. Feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help if I can. I also recommend posting on Twitter self-promo posts - they have been very good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @KM - So far so good! I used to dread it, but now it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Debra - I have not ventured into BookBub territory yet, but I do plan to try them. Good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very informative post, Kait. When I first started publishing, I got lots of BookBub ads. In fact, when they were first starting, they gave me a freebee. Lots has changed since then. BookBub rarely takes a book that isn't wide, and their prices have gone through the roof. It was great while it lasted. I've thought of running an Amazon ad, and maybe when I finish the "neverending book I'm writing," I might give it a try. Like you did, I'll have to learn how to do it. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete