Monday, July 12, 2010

Writer's Blocks

When starting to read a book, I always peruse the forward where the author thanks everyone who has supported the creation of the masterpiece. Unfailingly, the author’s family is thanked for their patience, suggestions, and faith that a best seller will emerge from his efforts. While my family is generally supportive, I’ve been writing for about four years without publication. Until I receive a paycheck, my writing is considered a hobby and, priority-wise, must come after all those other jobs in my multiple hat wearing life since you must either make money or work to save money.

Needless to say, managing a business, two adult children, husband and household interferes with my writing. I don’t know how other writers multitask around tumultuous households. This summer seems to have commanded my time more than others. It rained a lot around D.C. in May, so in June I crammed in all those spring cleaning chores that are normally spread out over a few months, resealing our deck, washing windows and cleaning carpets.

My son graduated last year from college. Due to the economy, he is working part-time in my husband’s business. He hasn’t been part of our household on a daily basis for two years. Having lived on his own, he is particular about his diet, which we support, but his diet necessitates almost daily trips to the grocery store. He would shop himself, except that he works, commuting between Maryland and Virginia. Since I don’t get a paycheck, the grocery store is on my list.

My daughter, home from school, is working too, doubling our household residents. In passing, I’ll mention the party she had in our home last weekend while my husband and I were out of town. Somehow, the carpets were trashed and I spent two days cleaning them (thank goodness it rained in May and I didn’t clean them twice). Yes, she would have done it herself if not for her summer school class and work schedule. No, she won’t be having anymore parties anytime soon.

Fortunately, our business has recently surged, after a two year dearth that hit the housing market. Great, except I’ve sent out more proposals in the last two weeks than in the previous year. We also have three business vehicles in addition to the four we use personally. My kids take care of their own cars, but the remaining five must have regular maintenance-again, my domain. And then my husband’s hobbies become my responsibility.

This week, a twenty-six foot boat appeared in my driveway. A client, who no longer used it, gave it to my husband. Great, a real windfall. My husband’s hobbies by necessity have dwindled because of his back problems. He cannot and may not play softball anymore. Fishing is the only hobby left to him. Due to his back issues, I try to compensate by helping in physical activities, like mowing the yard and assisting moving equipment, like air compressors or generators off and on his truck (now you know why I weight train), so when I saw the boat, I saw another task falling into my hands.

Algae covered the boat since it sat under a tree for the last three years. While I should have been writing, I’ve spent the last week with a five gallon drum of Clorox Cleanup, scrub brush and hose, cleaning the boat. Its beauty is emerging, but I still have a way to go before it shines.


Does this sound like a poor pitiful me column? Don’t believe it. Next week, I’m off to the beach where I will devote myself to writing and fun. My family will be at home working, so there is a balance. I live for the day when my writing pays and “my work” will actually be considered work. Until then, I swipe an hour or two out of every day to write, multitask with the professionals, and hope to write that forward in my book where every author lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment