Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I used to like squirrels


I used to like squirrels

For many years I thought squirrels were cute little critters. In college I’d share my crackers with them when they came close by to beg. Oh so cute they were.

Then came the day when I didn’t find them so amusing. My granddaughter planted a sun flower seed. She watered it, nurtured it and was so proud when it grew nice and big. Then one day she went onto the screened in porch where we lived in Florida and screamed that the squirrels were eating her plant. Within minutes, she had no flower left.

She hates squirrels.

So, okay, that was bad enough. Then they started to eat my flowers, too. Nice big hibiscus flowers were shredded by their little mouths. And then they ate the metal around my neighbor’s chimney and managed to get into their house.

I had mostly forgotten about these incidents after we moved from that neighborhood. We bought this house which is on an acre, and had to do a lot of remodeling. One of the many things that needed replacing was the screen on our back porch. Four years went by with no problems.
One day a bird was on our back porch. I am not a bird fan—especially when they invade my space. We found a small hole in the screen and my husband patched it. Then we found what looked like some sort of droppings around the porch. 

Soon the patch was eaten. We knew we couldn’t blame that on birds. Each time we patched a spot, another hole appeared elsewhere. We finally put bricks in front of the holes. Our neighbor is a wild life officer. He came and looked at it and said, “Squirrels. They are eating your screen. The only thing to keep them from doing this is to put moth balls around.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m not crazy about the smell of moth balls. But we took my old knee highs, filled them with the smelly stuff, and pinned them to the screen. It looked ugly and it smelled worse. Well, except to my young granddaughter, Hurricane Emma. “Oh, that smells good.” She’s a strange child. We also found the squirrels had taken Hurricane Emma’s bathing suit off the towel pole and made a nest in a flower pot. 

Things went well for a while. They left us alone. Until grandson Noah took one of the bricks which still cover the holes and moved it. The season was warm, not hot, so we could open the sliding glass doors and enjoy the nice weather.

But it happened again. Squirrel found hole. Squirrel came onto the back porch. Zeus, the schnauzer, was on porch while the other dogs were outside barking at something, which turned out to be a squirrel climbing on the screen. Think of Zeus as the great white hunter. He is always looking for moles or whatever to kill—or maybe it’s lions. He caught the squirrel who otherwise would’ve been in our house causing havoc. 

I’m happy to say I didn’t have to see this. My husband took care of it. And Zeus, our cowardly leo lion dog, was so proud of himself. After all these years of treeing the squirrels, he was able to say, “Huh! Got cha!”

I’d say this would be a good children’s story, except there are those who would say I was being cruel and inhumane to animals. I’d just have to blame it on Zeus.

Wonder if I can use a killer squirrel in my next story!

3 comments:

  1. I lucked out. Years ago, I bought plants at Home Depot. I planted the flowers in tubs and placed them on my deck. Their appearance lent a garden-like flavor to my deck and provided color. Every year since then, the flowers have reseeded themselves in the pots. They weren't perennials, but even so they kept coming back.

    This year squirrels decided to dig in my tubs disrupting my flowers. Some are still rooted, but if the squirrels keep it up, I lose them after years of enjoying them.

    *#&* Squirrels!

    PS-Dee, there are live traps you can get. Put an apple slice in, the squirrel goes after it and a trap door closes behind it. Of course then someone braver than me has to release it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in North Carolina I had a squirrel fall down my chimney. Did he look startled. Luckily I was home at the time. I opened the front door and he scampered to the kitchen. Leaving the door open, I went into the kitchen staying as far from him as possible. He fled the kitchen and went out the door. I could track where he had gone by following his sooty footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in a condo on the third floor, I went to open the window and there was a squirrel perchd on the sill. No pipes close by and the squirrel appeared to have climbed up a flat surface. My grandson wanted to open the window but you never know whether a squirrel has rabies.

    ReplyDelete