Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday's Bloggers

Weekly blogging can be a formidable task. Dee Gatrell has decided to retire from WWK to focus on her work and writing. We will miss her. Two writers came to our attention, KB Inglee and Kara Cerise. We invited them to take Dee’s place, and by doing so lessened the time commitment required by each. They will be contributing on alternating Tuesdays and are introducing themselves today. Please welcome KB and Kara to WWK.

I am glad to be among you. I am KB Inglee and I write short historical mystery fiction. My published work ranges from the Colonial to the Victorian periods, 1700 to the late 1890s.

Twenty years of working as a psychiatric social worker has shown me lots of human suffering to work with. Ten years of historical interpretation has allowed me to inhabit the past actually living as our ancestors did. I have run a water-powered gristmill, tended a flock of heritage sheep, and spent a weekend living like a farmer’s wife in the 1700s, without running water or air-conditioning. I make my own outfits; hand sewing as well as any nine-year-old girl would in the 1700s. I spin the wool from the sheep I tend, and knit it into small items. I learned to tie fish nets for my latest story “Netted.”

Like most writers, I have unpublished novels on disks, and a zillion unfinished stories. My latest project has been receiving manuscripts for scoring, and sending the highest scoring to the editor for a new Guppy anthology, Fish Nets.

I have always been a keeper of absurd statements made by people who should know better. When I retired from social work, I had five pages of dumb stuff. Now I collect weird things the public says at my sites. Last weekend a kid asked the Civil War soldier who was cooking a chicken over a campfire: “Is that a real fire?” His dad chimed in with “Of course not.”


My name is Kara Cerise and I am honored to join the talented crew of Writers Who Kill. Like most writers, I have been writing since I could hold a crayon. My earliest stories were filled with adventure, the importance of friendship and shocking mysteries, such as who stole Mary’s yellow polka dotted socks. Not much has changed from those early days except I have a larger vocabulary, use a computer and write about secret agents and murder.

My work life has included stints in advertising, the legal field and museums. These all may sound quite staid and boring but in my imagination were really about ways to hoodwink consumers, massive toxic waste conspiracies, and stolen artwork.

Currently, I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area not far from the “Big Top Secret Organization.” This means I see and hear some strange things and don’t know what some of my neighbors do for a living. It’s the perfect place for someone who enjoys mystery and intrigue. I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you.


Kara Cerise

KB Inglee

5 comments:

  1. You both sound interesting and I'm sure will make a nice addition to WWK. Raising sheep! I hope you'll post more pictures and tell us about them, Kaye.
    And Kara, I hope your interest in museums will come through in your posts. I'll be looking forward to reading both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to WWK Kara and KB. Your varied backgrounds will provide for interesting blogs. Although I have no experience with sheep, I went to school in DC and live in NOVA now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome. I'm glad you're both aboard. I hope Dee will also contribute from time to time in the future. Mid July through mid November I will be in New Zealand where sheep outnumber people. I've never heard a word about Kiwi spies so they must be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the warm welcome! I do plan to write about museums, Ellis. If there is a specific museum or piece of art that is of interest, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you joined us, Kara and KB. I look forward to you sharing information about your writing and your varied life experiences.

    ReplyDelete