Saturday, April 1, 2017

I’ve Come to Grips with My Writing Life by Heather Weidner


Many thanks to the Writers Who Kill for letting me visit today. I’m really excited to be a part of the 50 Shades of Cabernet mystery anthology with two of the WWK authors, James Jackson and Tina Whittle.
For years, I’ve heard the advice that writers should write every day. I try very hard, but it doesn’t always happen with work, family, and other commitments. It made me feel guilty that I wasn’t taking my writing life seriously. I admire those who have and make their daily writing quotas. As a writer, you need to find what works for you and your situation.
I still work full-time as a Quality Assurance and Governance Manager in Information Technology. A workday can often be a ten or twelve-hour shift.  And there are days that I don’t want to spend any more time at a computer. Then there are family and other commitments. I’m active with my critique group, several writing groups, and volunteer activities. And that doesn’t include all the time spent marketing and promoting my novel and short stories. I did the mileage for last year’s taxes, and I logged over 3,600 miles for book events.
Over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a binge writer. I write in fits and spurts. My day usually starts at five o’clock. I write before work, at lunch, and on weekends and holidays. I don’t always work on my work in progress (WIP) each day, but I do blog and write guest posts, interviews, and book reviews. And sadly, some days, the only writing I do is creating Information Technology policies or staff performance reviews.
Like a plotter, I outline my novels before I start, but when I write, I sometimes go where the characters and story take me. My style is a hybrid. Because of the outline, I usually know where the story is going, and I’m able to complete the first draft quickly. But it is really what my friend Mary Burton calls a “sloppy copy” – not ready for prime time. I spend the majority of my time revising and editing before my critique group sees it. Then there’s more revising after their comments. I usually do nine or ten rounds of revision before a manuscript is ready for submission.
I’ve come to terms with my writing style and preferences. I’m not as prolific as I would like to be, but that’s okay. I enjoy meeting readers, networking with my writer friends, and having adventures. This style works for now, and hopefully, when I retire, I’ll gain more writing time. And I don’t feel guilty anymore that I don’t hit a quota each day.
You need to find a writing style that works for you. Not everyone fits the “sit down and crank out 3,000 words mold.” You will be much more productive (and happier) when you establish your routine. Keep writing. It’s worth it. But don’t beat yourself up if your style doesn’t match someone else’s.
Secret Lives and Private Eyes
Business has been slow for PI, Delanie Fitzgerald, but her luck seems to change when a tell-all author hires her to find rock star, Johnny Velvet. Could the singer whose life was purportedly cut short in a fiery car crash still be alive? And as if sifting through dead ends in a cold case isn’t bad enough, Chaz Wellington Smith, III, a loud-mouthed strip club owner, hires Delanie to uncover information on the mayor’s secret life. When the mayor is murdered, Chaz is the key suspect. Now Delanie must clear his name and figure out the connection between the two cases before another murder—probably her own—takes place.
Author Biography:
Heather Weidner’s short stories appear in Virginia is for Mysteries, Virginia is for Mysteries Volume II, and 50 Shades of Cabernet. Currently, she is Vice President of Sisters in Crime – Central Virginia, and a member of Guppies, Lethal Ladies Write, and James River Writers. Secret Lives and Private Eyes is her debut novel.
Originally from Virginia Beach, Heather has been a mystery fan since Scooby Doo and Nancy Drew. She lives in Central Virginia with her husband and a pair of Jack Russell terriers.
Through the years, she has been a technical writer, editor, college professor, software tester, and IT manager. Visit Heather at www.heatherweidner.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Goodreads.
Author Links:
Website and Blog: www.heatherweidner.com

9 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post, Heather--and like you, I've had to juggle other commitments around my writing (or rather, juggle my writing around other commitments, of course) and I've had to come to terms with it. But forward progress is always good, and congrats on your success making it all work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging with us, Heather. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and of your work. Congratulations on your publications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to reading your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an honor to be in the anthology with you -- the work you're doing to get the word out about 50 Shades of Cabernet is incredible. Here's to succeeding on your own terms, and may much more success come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody is as prolific as he or she would like to be. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, although I try to get a new chapter written every day, I never count words written. I'm retired now so you'd think I'd get more than that written, but like you I have other things to do, too. Family events, Mobile Meals, animals to care for, my writer's group, editing my online writer's group submissions, two book clubs,gardening in season,and blogging
    every Thursday and reading. I can't imagine a life where I'd have no time to read. I actually feel having a life that involves more than sitting for hours and hours writing is better for when you do find time to sit down and write. I'm putting your book on my list of books to order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Heather, for joining us on WWK. And congratulations on your short story publication. Cabernet sounds good, but I'd rather have a chardonnay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent advice, Heather! The writing process is different for every writer part of becoming the best writer you can be is finding your process! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. like everybody else, I do try to write a bit every day, and usually manage that,but don't get nearly as much done as I want to.

    ReplyDelete