Monday, November 7, 2011

A Shaker of Margaritas: Cougars on the Prowl

Last year I had the honor and pleasure of having one of my short stories, “Implicated by a Phrase,” published by Mozark Press in the anthology, A Shaker of Margaritas: Hot Flash Mommas.

After dealing with an online editor who arbitrarily changed the title and format of a another short story of mine, I found Mozark Press editor Linda Fisher a professional gem, so when she contacted me last summer about a new anthology, I had no trepidation about submitting a new short story to her. That is, until I read the title, A Shaker of Margaritas: Cougars on the Prowl, the topic of the new stories—cougars—older women hunting for younger male partners.

I’m a crime writer, so my short story in A Shaker of Margaritas: Hot Flash Mommas, featured older women who solved a crime. It wasn’t much of a stretch since many of my main characters are older women (except for my current WIP, oddly enough). After quaking in my boots for a week, I realized that the volume called for romance, and I spent a few weeks writing an atypical story (for me) without crime, no victims allowed, and my first purely romantic short story.

After editing and revising, I called upon the advice of Polly Iyer, who I’ve interviewed here on WWK and who contended for the Daphne Du Maurier Award. Polly knows how to write romance and she edited and advised me. I found that writing romance calls for the use of Deep POV, which reveals the main character’s emotional orientation, and visceral anticipation and response, whereas crime writing relies much more on intellectual observation and internal dialogue.

The result of Ms. Fisher’s request and Polly’s coaching produced, “Rock the Cradle,” my short story in A Shaker of Margaritas: Cougars on the Prowl, which will be released next month. Here is a sample of a few of the stories in this volume. I hope you enjoy it and when released, I’ll send a copy to one of today’s commenters.

  • Will the widow in a new job fall for her boss, who just happened to be a student she tutored many years ago?
  • A photographer engages in phone repartee with a star’s manager, but in person she finds that he is a much younger man catching her by surprise.
  • After her husband leaves her for a younger woman, a recent divorcĂ©e spends time with a younger man. Can she find love, or does she find a new identity?
  • A widow accepts an invitation from an old beau and while on the date, she meets a much younger man who is the lead singer in a famous rock band. Will she let their age difference dissuade her from enjoying the moment?
  • A widow coaches her newly divorced friend in the art of dating. The rules she developed fall by the wayside when her star pupil teaches her a few lessons.




14 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to deal with a top notch editor? It sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda put the stories online for the authors to edit, which allowed me to read all the stories. It's a strong anthology, maybe because of the well defined topic. The writing is good and the authors dealt with the topic with tact.

    At first I was at a loss--a story with no victims--that was a must. What's a mystery writer to do? But writing outside of your genre stretches your abilities. I understand romance writing better for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E.B. can't wait to read this. I find the subject of cougars intriguing. It appears society is changing. It's always been such a male-dominated issue. I hope your foray into romance was interesting. So tell us, were you hooked, do you still prefer straight mystery, or like me are you going to incoporate a little romantic suspense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to reading the anthology. The editing and production seems very professional. Suspense is such a vital part of any story, I believe, whatever the genre or even if it's not a genre story. Recently I read a story about Goebbels' wife deciding to kill her six children. The reader wasn't aware of who was speaking and the suspense was in whether a mother could eventually kill her children.
    On a ligher note (perhaps not), I would never have watched The Titanic if it didn't have a romantic suspense element.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, intellectual deduction is easier to write. It comes naturally, and it's what I like to read. But I also like romance-interfused with mystery. I can't see me writing pure romance, but I also can't see how writers avoid or would want to avoid writing mystery without romance.

    My WIP is a paranormal romantic mystery, which has stretched my writing parameters. It's a good exercise, getting out of your comfort zone. And let me tell you, the subject of Cougars was uncomfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the Titantic, the romance was the story for me. We all knew the real story and the outcome--so that portrayal of romance between classes and how a woman broke out of her class binds was bittersweet. It was so well done, Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And a very good story it is. I had little to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. E.B., you rock! Congrats on the anthology. Please toss my name into the ring.
    kayegeorge@gmail.com
    I'd love to read the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kaye. As you know, I love short stories. You've already read, "Rock the Cradle" since you are in my short story critique group as are some of my fellow bloggers here. I liked the rest of the stories in the volume. We were gentle on the poor boys! Romance writing calls for different objects using different techniques. It was a great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love short stories too and this anthology sounds great! Toss my name in the hat, please.
    Jess
    jessy31writer (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jess. I'm a great lover of short stories too.

    Congratulations, Warren on your short, "The Note" in the Lost Coast Review!

    I wrote a Valentine's Day short, "Maybe Baby" that I'm looking to get published. Anyone have an idea where is might fit, please let me know.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your story synopsis, E.B. Let me tell you, editors love working with writers like you. Keep writing! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Linda, I intend to--of course I also expect you'll think of another story topic that will challenge me! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete