Monday, June 27, 2011

The Story Behind the Story

Black humor characterizes the Darwin Awards because they are bestowed upon those who have eliminated themselves from the gene pool by dying (or otherwise incapacitating themselves) due to stupidity. To laugh at another’s misfortune isn’t nice. However, when reading those awards one can’t help but be amazed at the ways in which people die or mess up their lives. For mystery writers, it’s research.

A post on a writers’ email group listed the most recent Darwin Awards, which reminded me of an award given several years ago that caught my attention. It sparked a plot that ended up as a short story, which not only was my first published, but also became the basis of my WIP, Toasting Fear.

The location of the story caught my attention: Buxton, N. C. I have vacationed near there and now own a house in a nearby town. When I read the story, I didn’t question that it occurred. There were too many elements, which rang true from my experience and knowledge of the place.

Here’s the story: A young couple chose Buxton (home of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse) as their honeymoon destination. A windy day on the beach prompted the husband to dig a hole in the sand large enough for him to sit in to avoid blowing sand. He must have dug quite a hole because, after sitting in it, the sides collapsed on him. His new wife and others on the beach tried to dig him out to no avail. The rescue squad arrived to dig him out of the hole, but they too failed. They finally called in a backhoe to dig him out. Of course, by the time they found him, he had suffocated to death.

The idea of digging a hole prompted my short story, "Daddy's Little Girl.” If you have time, read it to find out where I took off from the horrible, real story that resulted in the Darwin Award. Taking off from reality, asking “what if” from a given situation can result in plausible, even if bizarre plots.

Is there a story behind your story?

9 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting to learn the hows and whys of a story (or in music a song).

    Sometimes, the backstory is more interesting than the actual thing -- although in your case, EB, I very much enjoyed what you did with Daddy's Little Girl

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim. I enjoy when seemingly powerless people overcome those in power. Although I'm not a Miss. Marple fan, I do like Christie's concept of the little old lady bringing villians down.
    People's lust for power, I find fascinating. While I understand that people want control in their lives, using power to control others is despicable and on some spiritual level, laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eavesdropping, personal experience, and reading the paper are al potential sources for stories. Around Valentine's Day I read an newspaper article that reported the holiday was the busiest time of year for private detectives since members of couples suspicious of their partner's fidelity hired detectives to see who would get flowers and candy from their partner. Add in a "What if?" and I had the story "A Detective's Romance."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much enjoyed your story, DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL. What a disaster in the real story. Yes, it was a dumb thing to do but the man was on his honeymoon. I've lost count of the dumb things I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren-yes, I read that too. LOL! There are so many ways to say I love you. Can't wait to read that short.

    Pauline-Yes, I've done my share of stupid things as we all have. Some people end up paying for them with their lives, others not. The hand of fate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised by the stupid things people do. Just look at how things are today. People have lost all reason and are content to let charlatans and snake oil salesmen tell them how to think. I shake my head and fear for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a few Doubting Thomas's left, Polly. My son questions everything. The art of asking questions has gone the wayside because we mistake interest and discernment for impoliteness. Nothing has ever been learned without questioning.

    My family thinks that I'm impolite, at least they did until my husband was billed $300 for a product he didn't want by telemarketers. Now he's "ruder" than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story behind the story is fascinating.

    I enjoyed Daddy's Little Girl and liked how you contrasted powerful Mother Nature with Abby's weaker mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, well, Abby's mother was an oxymoron. :)

    ReplyDelete